Can anyone help me with an ID?

Deci22

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So was photographing a dog show today..ran across these trees and just never seen them before. The trunk is fluted and there appeared to be a bunch of trunk looking things coming out of the ground all around. What kind of tree is this and why does it have these all around it? All the trees around the water had this.

Attachments

• 20230219_131346.jpg
    20230219_131346.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230219_130613.jpg
    20230219_130613.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 37

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You are looking at the one and only bald cypress. The things you see growing up around them are called “knees”. Beautiful trees!

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Bald Cypress trees. Those roots are called knees, they are common in wetlands, hard to replicate in a pot.

Deci22

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Lol thanks...I always wondered what people were talking about when they said knees of a tree lol. now I know. Very cool trunk, gorgeous trees. I always have issues identifying any tree that's not maple lol because there's so much Spanish moss on everything 😅 which I used to think was cool until I learned spiders like to live there, lol...also there were too many don't feed the gator signs, so I wasn't gonna get too close!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I listened to a podcast a while ago and these dudes were talking about knee growths. My first language isn't english, and they were talking with a heavy southern US accent. That, on top of the sound of traffic, made me rewind it a couple times just to make sure I heard it right.

Top Bottom