can anyone identify chop on bonsai scissors.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Bonsai scissors?

Ikebana???

Whatever, those handles make them hard to use.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Whatever, those handles make them hard to use.

I agree. Makes me want to cut one of the butterfly handles down at the butt. At least by then you can really grip it properly. As-is it seems like it has an identity crisis. I wonder why they keep making this design.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what design flaw? what is the better option?

If you look at other scissor designs...it is either no loop, small loops for the fingers, one small loop for the thumb and a big one for the 4 fingers.

This have 2 big loops, you cannot use your thumb properly on it, cannot grip it properly because the "thumb" loop is in the way. It is crazy design that looks nice.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
what design flaw? what is the better option?

These (for instance) are much easier to use than those huge, loopy handles that cannot be firmly gripped (and, the blade gets into the interior of the tree much easier).

Attachments

• ARS scissors.JPG
    ARS scissors.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 9

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These (for instance) are much easier to use than those huge, loopy handles that cannot be firmly gripped (and, the blade gets into the interior of the tree much easier).

Agree. I bought a pair of the large handled scissors before I knew any better, and eventually found them very inconvenient to use for fine branch trimming. Now I just use them for root trimming.

Chris

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I would have to look closer at those on the handle and spare some more time...
but the Kiribako has (生?)華道用鉄 Maybe the first one is difficult, but second is possibly the old writing for hana or Ka flower and the third fourth and fifth character are Douyoutetsu (I am not sure of the exact reading.)

So the poster that said they are probably for Ikebana is probably spot on...

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I find little if any difference between ikebana and bonsai scissors. The main aspect I look for is hand forged quality. I purchase any if these when possible and I have both types with and without the butterfly handle part. They cut amazingly well and hold an edge better than anything.

Top Bottom