Can anyone identify this tree species?

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
There are a couple of old trees planted around town that I've never been able to identify, but grow curious about every time they fruit in the winter. It always grabs my attention because they'll drop all their leaves and show off festive clumps of bright yellowish/orangish/pinkish berries. I found one that was still holding on to its leaves and took pictures for identification. Does anyone recognize the species? I've wondered for years. It'd be nice to solve the mystery.

DSC07835.jpgDSC07833.jpgDSC07836.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are a couple of old trees planted around town that I've never been able to identify, but grow curious about every time they fruit in the winter. It always grabs my attention because they'll drop all their leaves and show off festive clumps of bright yellowish/orangish/pinkish berries. I found one that was still holding on to its leaves and took pictures for identification. Does anyone recognize the species? I've wondered for years. It'd be nice to solve the mystery.

View attachment 415325View attachment 415326View attachment 415327
I don’t live in California but it looks like a California pepper tree, Schinus Molle

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I don’t live in California but it looks like a California pepper tree, Schinus Molle
Good guess but nope, not a California/Peruvian pepper tree. Lots of those around here and these trees are very different. The leaves are much bigger. It's not Brazilian either. Both of those species get small red berries. These berries are 4x bigger and never red, always pale orange/pink. But perhaps it's a distant cousin in the same botanical family? I've never seen them for sale in any nursery here, and all the specimens I've seen look at least 50/60 years old, so they mustve been popular for a brief period of time years back.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Hard to be sure without any scale to judge the real size of either leaves or fruits but it does look right for Melia.
Really hardy and tough but large compound leaves so I would not bother with this species for bonsai.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Google Lens posits that it is Chinaberry (Melia azedarach).
Yes, after looking at photos on Google, that must be it. Thank you! Mystery finally solved.

Hard to be sure without any scale to judge the real size of either leaves or fruits but it does look right for Melia.
Really hardy and tough but large compound leaves so I would not bother with this species for bonsai.
Agreed, the compound leaves would always look bad. It could possibly work exclusively as a winter silhouette, but I've enough trees to care for as it is. My curiosity was generally more botanical than anything else.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
From seed not the best for sure, they grow fast and are very hardy though, I dont mind the compound leaf I think they are cool in bonsai and can be reduced, look in the nurserys for an old one with the broken trunk or something, you can get them cheap

71nDWMF-2DL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
81KYpl1VHWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
118233347_592480461448394_3442581474215550781_n.jpg

Top Bottom