can anyone identify what is going on here and why (ELM)

cpt

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've been watching this strange growth pattern of an elm at the manufacturing plant where I work. I have never seen a growth pattern like this on this small of a tree, I have seen similar growth on large elms. i'm not sure what its called or if that's the same thing happening to this little sappling. any ideas?

also should this post go into the ELM category or general discussion?

04231410.jpg

04231411.jpg

04231412.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Its really difficult to tell anything due to the poor photos, but it appears that it was hit with a chemical spray that stunted growth. It could have been a horticultural spray, but it may have been a chemical use by the manufacturing plant for business purposes. In any case, it looks like a reaction to chemicals.

cpt

Yamadori
Reaction score
Its really difficult to tell anything due to the poor photos, but it appears that it was hit with a chemical spray that stunted growth. It could have been a horticultural spray, but it may have been a chemical use by the manufacturing plant for business purposes. In any case, it looks like a reaction to chemicals.

ok they only thing it may have been sprayed with would be weed killer, im debating weather I want to collect it and see what it does. since its producing many new shoots at all preexisting branch points it could have a pretty interesting result as it matures. any idea on what this particular condition would be called or classified under, or just stunted growth and an abundance of regeneration in the new spring season?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No idea what it is classified as, but curious what type of Elm that is. Also before collecting take a magnifying glass and carefully inspect close to the branches where there is new growth for insects, in particular of the beetle variety.

Grimmy

cpt

Yamadori
Reaction score
image_10.jpg

image_11.jpg

image_12.jpg

image_13.jpg

a little better pic quality, there's a new healthy one next to the one of interest, if it were chemical I would think they would both be effected, hard to say.

most common elm in my area Siberian elm

any other thoughts?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If there is no powdery film on it I would suspect a Elm Leaf Beetle army is working it over. I would treat a few branches and see if they respond. Really difficult to call this one.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Probably and insect infestation and the tree is stressed but fighting.

Would be cool if it is not but look at the clusters at each node where the growth are. Investigate and see if you can find small critters inside.

Just a guess.

cpt

Yamadori
Reaction score
Probably and insect infestation and the tree is stressed but fighting.

Would be cool if it is not but look at the clusters at each node where the growth are. Investigate and see if you can find small critters inside.

Just a guess.

I don't see any signs of insects so far.

so hypothetically speaking say this tree has a strange stunted morph thing happening to it, how would one go about styling a deciduous tree that's starting to develop similar structural shape to a conifer, this assumptions is being very broad to the circumstance.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I still say chemical. and that is why some is not affected. its not permanent or all growth would be affected, and its not. hence temporary, and likely airborne cause, such as chemical. the easy way to tell is to cut off all new growth and let it regenerate.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would suggest, since you dont know what is going on, that you hit it with water from a hose at high enough pressure to get rid of any creatures, but not hard enough to hurt the foliage. Then sit back and let it grow out. Might surprise you.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I have seen elms under powerlines that have been hit with an herbicide do something very similar. I suspect Don is on the money...as usual!
John

cpt

Yamadori
Reaction score
so that little elm was attached to a 3 inch diameter root from and existing tree. overall an interesting root system with the exception of the large round root coming out of it. potted last night so i'll give it some time and see what it does

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
It looks like it's forming witch's broom to me. You may have your own dwarf elm cultivar.

cpt

Yamadori
Reaction score
so where would I find more reference examples of witches broom on elm bonsai? I've been looking, maybe not in the right places

Top Bottom