Can anyone mimic this pattern and glaze?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I found this neat little bowl at goodwill today. Can anyone mimic this design and glaze on a pot? I’d love to have a few pots made very similar to this.

Attachments

• FEC36D8D-5522-41DB-A416-94FEE2A41FB3.jpeg
    FEC36D8D-5522-41DB-A416-94FEE2A41FB3.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 6ED403D9-3F45-4EB3-A15D-4A3A86E5DFDE.jpeg
    6ED403D9-3F45-4EB3-A15D-4A3A86E5DFDE.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 108

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might try to mimic those groove drips by dotting an ash glaze just at the tops of the grooves. You could also try a flux wash. I fire cone 6
oxidation and my first attempt at that blue green would be something matte like Pete Pinnel's weathered bronze.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might try to mimic those groove drips by dotting an ash glaze just at the tops of the grooves. You could also try a flux wash. I fire cone 6
oxidation and my first attempt at that blue green would be something matte like Pete Pinnel's weathered bronze.
exactly, weathered bronze is where I would start
love the glaze and use it a lot, its variable and pretty predictable

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can anyone read this signature? I could drill this bowl and use it for a pot but since the base is so narrow and its signed I would rather not. Hopefully someone here is willing to take on the task of making me one or two of these. 🙏

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seagrove NC is one of the most potter populated communities in the US. Odds are pretty good it was made there and if you go to the pottery museum they will probably know the potter.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My wife is a potter and glazes are a real problem lately. Her local supplier can’t get a decent supply of glazes in and all the local potters in the Asheville area are having production issues. Clays are also getting difficult to source. She made several custom pots from me this spring but then we had sourced the glazes and clay last year. I’m sure you could find a potter who could do the job however matching the glaze might be hit and miss.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What would be a good clay to start with if I wanted to play around with making a pot?

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To what cone will you be firing?
Do you want to learn to make and mix your own glazes?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
To what cone will you be firing?
Do you want to learn to make and mix your own glazes?
It appears most of the studios locally that rent out kiln space bisque fire to cone 6 and glaze fire to cone 5

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get some with lots of grog in it, it apparently helps with bonsai pots, at least that’s what my wife says and you know she is right. If you don't plan to glaze the pot get one that will fire the color you desire at the temperature you want. Cone 6 is what she fires mine to. Clay is wierd stuff, it comes out different colors at different temps. Glaze is even worse as it varies with the color of the clay under it and the temp. If you really want a specific combination you need to make some test tiles with different clays and glazes just to figure out the combination that works for you. I’ve got her now planning a big dark brown pot for my 3’ bald cypress.

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you sure that the bisque fire isn't to cone 06?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That glaze looks similar to this one, but your carved bowl the glaze has texture. It's difficult to tell if that glaze is one or two.

20220419_000611.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are you sure that the bisque fire isn't to cone 06?
you are correct, it is bisque fire to come 06, glaze fire to come 5. Thank you for the attention to detail. As you can probably tell I’m no potter 😆

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That glaze looks similar to this one, but your carved bowl the glaze has texture. It's difficult to tell if that glaze is one or two.

View attachment 431190
That is a pretty glaze too and yes it is very similar. I will try to get more close up pictures of it for you tomorrow. Honestly I’d be happy with that glaze on a carved texture pot.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can anyone read this signature? I could drill this bowl and use it for a pot but since the base is so narrow and its signed I would rather not. Hopefully someone here is willing to take on the task of making me one or two of these. 🙏
Looks like Granatelli.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why say cone most do not understand instead of just give temperature or other intelligible WE might understand:confused:?

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is referred to by cone because they use a cone that slumps at a certain temp. Different cone numbers = different temp. Cone 6 if I remember right is a little over 2200 degrees
My kiln has a kiln setter place the cone in the setter and when it reached temp it shuts off

Top Bottom