Can anyone read japanese?

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this pot & would like conformation on maker, if anyone can read japanese.

naks.jpg

gyos.jpg

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My wife's Japanese we're both at work now but I can ask her tonight.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
行山作

Probably read Kosan Saku or made by Kosan. (With names though you never know....sometimes they mix On and Kun readings)

I am sure there are others on this site much more knowledgeable about Japanese potters than myself.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry the characters I copied did not publish...or maybe it is just the computer I am on.
First one is character to go
Second one is character for mountain
Third character is to Make or Produce

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope you don't mind if I asked your question over at Yahoo Answers. Well here is what I got as one of the answers.

It says 行山作 = Gyozan saku = made by Gyozan

We have a wellish-known bonsai pot maker called 中野行山 Gyozan Nakano, who lives in Aichi prefecture, Japan.
However, I'm am doubtful the pot in your picture was made by him. It can be a fake.

Last edited:

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.
Intriguedbybonsa, i'm curious to know why you think this pot was not made by nakano gyozan?

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not me. I had a native Japanese speaker at Yahoo Answers translate this for me. He didn't really elaborate on why he does not think the pot was made by Gyozan. My guess is that there are probably a lot of fakes floating around in the market. Those who seek to make a non-honest profit.

http://www.bonsai-jp.com/spot/pot.html

It's hard to tell though. Everytime I google his personally made pots, the bottom signature is different on each one.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, I guess the only safe way to know for sure, would be to get it straight from the maker. I appreciate your input. I will keep trying to seek more about this pot. I'm not too concerned about any loss I would take, but I would like some authenticity when & if I display a tree in this pot.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nakanos.jpgnak.jpgnakanos.jpg

Attachments

• nakano.jpg
    nakano.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 9
  • nakanogyozan.jpg
    nakanogyozan.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 10
  • gyozannakano.jpg
    gyozannakano.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Confirmation !!!

Hey all, I emailed Ryan Bell http://japanesebonsaipots.net/ Ryan says Yorozuen is one of the most reputable bonsai nurseries and pot sellers in Japan. The signature clearly reads :Gyozan Made", however, he cant attest to whether its Yuuji (son) or father Nakano Yukizou. He also said Yorozuen is one of the highest of provenances out there, so if they say its Yuuji, He wouldnt doubt it at all.
Thanks Ryan!

I bought the pot on ebay from Yorozuen & it was advertised as "Nakano Gyozan" so I will take it as that. I have also seen pots from Yorozuen advertised as "Yuuji Gyozan" son of Nakano Gyozan, which leads me to believe Yorozuen knows the difference between father & son.

I'm satisfied with this information & I thank Ryan Bell again :)

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2nd Confirmation!

Hey All, I also emailed Peter Tea about this pot. Most of you know Peter, but if you dont, he is a 3rd year apprentice in japan at Aichi-en Bonsai Nursery. Peter writes a great blog about his experience at Aichi-en Bonsai Nursery, check it out! http://peterteabonsai.wordpress.com/
Anyways, Peter & Mr. Junichiro Tanaka (owner & Oyakata at Aichi-en) took a look at the pics I sent & said, it looks like the real thing!
Thank you Peter Tea!

Top Bottom