Can anyone show me a decent DIY cement pot?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So can anyone show me a decent homemade pot other than proper ceramics? Like cement or cement type mixes etc. It seems like all of the pots I've seen look like total garbage. They are all way too heavy, too thick and have poor holes for drainage and tie downs. Not to mention it seems like they end up costing a lot more in the long run since it takes so much time and waste and storage of frames and molds etc. I mean these pots are $5, $7, $9, $12 - is anything besides wood boxes really any cheaper??

Attachments

• 20180821_181429.jpg
    20180821_181429.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 100

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I made a couple..
they heavy and thick (3/4 -1”)
this could be fixed w/ mix including peat or sphagnum...and perhaps practice??

Nothing to brag about with these (larger ~14), but these four combined cost me probably around a dollar.

I read somewhere that adding latex paint can also add strength (thinner walls), and of course color.
15C5449E-7E05-488B-AA11-493C889545F2.jpeg

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree with your comments on the cement pots but can you tell me where I can get the pots you pictured for the prices you noted?
Those look like what come from Lotus International, and can be found for pretty cheap at most nurseries that carry any inexpensive bonsai pots.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are ice cream containers.
Same tree.
Cost - very little and can be made frost proof.
Just Google.
Good Day
Anthony

Also have them in different body colours.
Can be waxed or epoxy glazed and coloured.

black pine 2a.jpg

pine2.jpg

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Some this is a matter of taste, I'm sure. I really like this one:
Concrete-Bonsai-Pot-8.jpg

Which is from this blog (it is worth checking out the other posts in this series to see her techniques and other examples) : https://lifeasahuman.com/2014/arts-culture/creativity/concrete-creations-a-configurable-mold/

She does a bunch of interesting stuff with reusable molds as well.

I also really like the look of concrete slabs, like these:
https://anijhuis.com/2015/03/27/more-on-cement-slabs-step-by-step/
And these:
http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/Reading/cementslabs.html

Concrete really shows its strengths when used as fake rock as well: a1a0bc5601fdd366371b0f7350ae75e2--bonsai-plants-bonsai-art.jpg

For speed and ease, you really can't beat the dip and drape... https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/cement-concrete-grout-containers.30553/post-518424

If what you want is something that looks like a traditional bonsai pot, then ceramics and plastics are probably a cheaper way to go. But neither of those mediums are trivial from a DIY perspective.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remember it is what you want to do with the pot.

For us, porous for pines is more important.
If you intend to handle winter, it is non-porous.

If it is elegant, the mix has to use finer sand.
Also we use silica based gravel, no need for
stabilisers.
You can fibre your mix for greater strength.

Colour pigments will probably work better with
finer sand and white cement.

Just depends on what you want.
Good Day
Anthony

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
20180822_174130.jpg20180822_174055.jpg
I'm experimenting with cement. But these aren't show pots. They're just a bit better than plastic containers.
4 dollars for a clay one? We pay 8 dollars for a plastic tray around here.
The cheapest bonsai pots go for a little more than 13 dollars.
Cement though, is 4 bucks a bag, as is sand. And plastic food containers come cheap around here.

jimenezl

Seedling
Reaction score
I've watched a great many cement bonsai pots being made on youtube. Start with this video here.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A bit late to the party, the video isn't available anymore. Got maybe any other source?

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have already looked at these, have ordered something similar, but i am not sure if they are processed properly so that they are frost resistant.
But, I am not looking into DIY pots entirely because of cost, but because of DIY aspect. :) And also i like the look of polished concrete.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got couple of pots from them this year, seems to be quite good quality so far but they didnt go through the winter yet and in Ireland we dont really get big frosts.

I was planning to do some DYI pots as well but ended up buying a lot of them due to lack of time.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are probably more difficult to make high quality than high quality ceramic, and will still not be are hard as a fired pot. They are frost proof when cured with a little heat help, laying in the sun for a week immediately after moulding is good enough, ~125°F. They can be colored, but not a glossy finish. Here's an example:

Top Bottom