Can anyone tell me what kind of juniper this is?

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. I just picked up the big juniper very cheap and was wondering what kind of juniper it is. Oh, one more question. Is it safe to start some minor trimming of this tree?

Attachments

• IMG_20170411_090720.jpg
    IMG_20170411_090720.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20170410_122304.jpg
    IMG_20170410_122304.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20170410_122343.jpg
    IMG_20170410_122343.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20170411_090643.jpg
    IMG_20170411_090643.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 96

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm new, but I would suggest take a closer photo of the foliage. Then wait on one of the smart ones to reply.

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspect this is one of many J. chinensis cultivars... there's hundreds of them and many are quite similar. Fwiw, the foliage looks like it can tighten up nicely... and it looks like it might have spider mites.
Thx Dave. I'll get a pesticide on it asap

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thx Dave. I'll get a pesticide on it asap
Not every pesticide will work, as you need a miticide. Before you go to HD, take a white piece of paper, hold it under the canopy and shake or slap the foliage above it. If you see tiny dots moving on the paper that make small green brown smears when you rub them, go get your miticide.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
She told me it's been in this pot for about two years.
If it checks out okay for spider mites then yes, trimming and wiring it will be fine. The general rule is "one insult per year" with Junipers. So, you can repot one year, let it recover and prune and trim it the next year or following years depending on when you repot. Now, in some areas and with some vigorous Junipers you can get away with less time between the insults. For example, where I live, I can repot in the spring and prune and wire later in the year with Parsoni and Procumbens. I hope that helps.

Reaction score
I'm only about 80% sure as the bark is a bit fuzzy in the pictures but I am fairly confident that is a Kaizuka Juniper. It is the random splashes of lighter color in random shoots that leans it towards being Kaizuka.

The easiest way to tell 100% for sure would be to cut something then watch for the back buds. Neither Kaizuka nor Kishu will produce juvenile (needle like) foiliage. It's too dark and too lanky of shoots to be Kishu. So looking to see if you find any needle like foliage will tell you 100% for sure.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm only about 80% sure as the bark is a bit fuzzy in the pictures but I am fairly confident that is a Kaizuka Juniper. It is the random splashes of lighter color in random shoots that leans it towards being Kaizuka.

The easiest way to tell 100% for sure would be to cut something then watch for the back buds. Neither Kaizuka nor Kishu will produce juvenile (needle like) foiliage. It's too dark and too lanky of shoots to be Kishu. So looking to see if you find any needle like foliage will tell you 100% for sure.
yes it looks like kaizuka to me too
I think you guys might be right... it does remind me of my old Hollywood juniper , aka J.c. 'kaizuka'.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For the record - a Kaizuka is a cultivar of Chinese juniper. Its common street name is Hollywood juniper. Here in southern Cal, it often goes by the name Juniperus chinensis 'torulosa'.

hollywood.jpg

The more sun, the tighter the growth. The interior of the foliage can look a little leggy but the exterior can look very similar to a shimpaku (another Chinese juniper cultivar). They can be rather large trees. I have one that's 10' tall, and I have seen them 20' tall or taller.

Last edited:

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hollywood usually grows more upright and I doubt this tree was trained from a young age to be a cascade. For that reason I guess Parsoni.

Top Bottom