Can anything be done to improve this hideous orange tree?

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
My mom has this orange tree that is 45 years old now (!!!). It’s mis-shapen, crooked, and just plain ugly. I would like to prune it and try to make it look better, but I don’t know where to start or if I might inadvertently kill it. Can anyone advise?

Attachments

• A3C4055A-95B5-4718-BD17-E8D503DF7E62.jpeg
    A3C4055A-95B5-4718-BD17-E8D503DF7E62.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 2C7B2D50-5610-4036-B730-B4B2E2DB2F5A.jpeg
    2C7B2D50-5610-4036-B730-B4B2E2DB2F5A.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 210

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pretty much a general rule is that you can cut any plant back to a few leaves on a branch and it will branch from there.
That is an ezpz you might do right now

The second general rule is that you wait until the new growth has emerged and turned dark green, then when you cut back it will have a maximal effect on making more branches. Then you can begin choosing which ones you don't want and pruning them away, progressively working toward making the tree look like you want. It still might be hideous, but it will be the hideous you made, instead. ;)

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
😊 thank you. Do you have any advice on where to start with this particular tree?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Pretty much a general rule is that you can cut any plant back to a few leaves on a branch and it will branch from there.
That is an ezpz you might do right now

The second general rule is that you wait until the new growth has emerged and turned dark green, then when you cut back it will have a maximal effect on making more branches. Then you can begin choosing which ones you don't want and pruning them away, progressively working toward making the tree look like you want. It still might be hideous, but it will be the hideous you made, instead. ;)
BTW, nice, new avatar. That eyeball was really disturbing.😊:eek:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would shorten those long lanky branches = make it more compact so that it doesn't occupy the whole room! Make it all fit inside the window, say.

Just have at it and see how it responds. I had to be coached in the beginning. The lecture was "Cut it. It will grow." Personally, I cannot give you a recipe for step 1, step 2, etc. If that is what you need, hang tight - someone who can might drop by this thread.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are leggy. They also put out lots of branches kinda all over the place. You are going to make open space between the branches, and make all the branches shorter. Put it in front of the window and seat yourself in front of it, some distance away that lets you see the whole window perimeter. First, each branch that arises from the trunk should be trimmed back to 6" beyond where the branch subdivides into two or more sub-branches. When you have done that, post a picture here for further instructions. This session will probably remove all your fruit, the price your pay to correct this situation. (The oranges are very small. Are they edible? Can you guess what kind they are? Or, describe them?)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
(The oranges are very small. Are they edible? Can you guess what kind they are? Or, describe them?)

My guess would be a cumquat variety.
Most citrus respond in similar ways so shortening all the branches as advised above would be a good first step. Usual citrus pruning advice is to keep some leaves but I know citrus will sprout from bare wood if they have to.

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I want to make sure I understand what you mean about trimming the branches - Are you saying to cut 6 inches out from the first fork of each main branch? Obviously doing so would dramatically reduce the foliage - This wont kill the tree I hope? I have no idea what species this is - the oranges are very sour and not edible. Should we also repot the tree to straighten it out or is there another way of doing so? Or do you think we can make it look good at this weird angle?

Actually I think the hardest part will be convincing my mom to let me have at it ;)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Kumquat.jpgThis is your starting point. You can't make complex decisions about where and what stays or is removed until you can see into the tree. Right now it is a bramble. You might have rabbits in there. It will grow back and you can keep it neat and productive and handsome. The fruit make excellent marmalade. Let them ripen on the tree until the blossom end turns orange instead of slightly ~greenish. Exclude the seeds which are bitter.

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
View attachment 257261This is your starting point. You can't make complex decisions about where and what stays or is removed until you can see into the tree. Right now it is a bramble. You might have rabbits in there. It will grow back and you can keep it neat and productive and handsome. The fruit make excellent marmalade. Let them ripen on the tree until the blossom end turns orange instead of slightly ~greenish. Exclude the seeds which are bitter.
That's great. Thank you so much! If and when I am allowed to start cutting, I will post updated pics. Fingers crossed she let's me attack it! ;)

electronfusion

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've never seen kumquat trees with leaves that hang down like that. I think it needs much more light, but still shelter from the outdoors. More light will make it grow a little more compactly too. So, make it fit by the window, and then put it as close to the window as possible.

Top Bottom