Can anything be done with miniature rose bushes?

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpeg I have this little tiny mini kordana rose that I just cut back today (way too leggy). The stems are still pretty pliable at this point. Is there anything I can do to turn this into something really beautiful?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You should add your location to your profile so we can give you better advice, and welcome!

In spring, I would repot into a bigger container with better soil. I have read that roses can be finnicky but I also know that miniature roses can be great shohin or accent plants! I have seen some nice ones before.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah miniatures can be done, but they take time. Not many do roses though there is some nice ones around. I dug this one a season ago. Small single pink...
IMAG0494.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Kjr928 - Definitely see the thread Sorce posted.

Roses are shrubs by nature, to get a trunk, they need to grow large and full for a number of years. They are not good year round indoor plants. They simply do not get the sun they need indoors. I have several I put in gallon size nursery pots, and will grow out for at least 3 to 5 years to develop a trunk. With the roses, the trunk will be mostly under the soil, this is okay. Keep the "crown" buried for several years. Later when it is time to move them to a bonsai pot you can plant them higher, and the trunk will be exposed. Yours is quite young, probably only a year or so from a cutting. It needs to grow. I would consider moving them to larger pots to grow out for a while. Then eventually moving them to a smaller pot.

If you have a patio, or balcony put them outside - keep them outside until they have had a few light frosts,, then move them to their winter location. You can winter them on a windowsill. And then return them outside after frost danger has passed in spring. I actually winter my roses in an unheated well house, that stays between 40 F and 32 F all winter. It is dark, no added light. They do fine, I bring them out in spring after frost danger has passed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They make perfume on Peppa Pig...
So my daughter asked me to look it up cuz she wants to make perfume...

Getting some distilled water and cheesecloth, and my neighbors mini roses (my side of fence) are going to become perfume.

So that can be done too!

Sorce

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I think with this one I'll just keep it as a little decorative shrub. I have a 1ft high baby red maple and maybe I'll try to do something with that

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think with this one I'll just keep it as a little decorative shrub.

It is probably best as roses in general are very difficult to keep potted, not impossible but rare for them to live more then a few years. This one is a planting done by Nick Lenz for example and has been in David Crust's @crust possession for some time. It slowly declined and is now being repotted with fresh plants.

rosen-penjing_nick_lenz.jpg

When discussed in another thread here it seems pretty common to have them dead for no good/logical reason after 3 -5 years although David managed several...

Grimmy

Top Bottom