Can anything become a companion plant?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I had a weed growing in a T-flat and decided to give it a new lease on life when I pulled it. Something about it pleased my eye. Got me wondering if there were rules for companion plants. Mini hostas are great but what makes me pause are those delicate plants that I have no clue on identification. This thirsty plant has fuzzy leaves, green and purple, with delicate pink bell flowers. If you can ID, thanks.

Can I use what nature provides? Either way, here are some pics of what I salvaged in a handmade pot I won at auction:

Attachments

• IMG_7351.JPG
    IMG_7351.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7352.JPG
    IMG_7352.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 44

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes you can use most anything, weeds, annuals, perennials etc. Just be sure it compliments the tree not distracts from it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg The answer to your question is yes, pretty much anything can be used as a companion plant.

The idea with companions is to convey a feeling of the season. Your nettle would indicate early spring.

The other concept us to provide contrast with the primary tree. In our recent show, a pine was shown with a type of spikey grass as a companion. Well, the textures were too similar. Needles in the tree, and spikey grass are just too much alike.

One more comment about that accent: it needs to be fuller! Make it look like its bursting out of it's pot! Put twice as much plant in there.

Here's my accent plant from a recent show, and the one in the little green pot was from a show in January. I put in pictures of the entire display to show how they work with the tree.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All great information and thank you for posting these lovely compositions Adair. I will attempt to fill this pot up with more local goodness.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Man I have those things all over my yard!

There's tons of flowering weeds in my yard I could use.

Maybe I'll make an accent who knows.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Screw hostas!

Last I heard they're played out.

Be. That is a great plant!

Sorce.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Man I have those things all over my yard!

There's tons of flowering weeds in my yard I could use.

Maybe I'll make an accent who knows.

Worst case scenario is that you like and have some ELSE to take care of year-round. Weeds tend to be hardy at least.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
i guess it doesnt really matter what it is, its all about visual aspect and if it looks good.
at kokufu this year, i thought this one was a bit extraordinary compared to the others, the accent pot is not even ment for a plant but actually for food (no hole at the bottom)
Bill valvanis put a picture of it on his blog so i guess he also liked it.
https://valavanisbonsaiblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/202.jpg

Top Bottom