Can boxwood be repotted while leaves still bronzed?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It will be a while for weather to be right but my question is whether it's okay to repot boxwood if leaves not fully re-greened.
Thanks.

:)

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It will be a while for weather to be right but my question is whether it's okay to repot boxwood if leaves not fully re-greened.
Thanks.

I repotted a Kingsville last spring around the same time as maples were breaking bud, leaves were still bronze, did significant root reduction and bounced back quite well. Likewise for standard boxwood at the same time, also responded well. Anecdotal to be sure with only 2 data points for you!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.

For your climate, no question about it. Would be fine. Even in my climate I will be re-potting in about 6 weeks and will be done ahead of leaves greening up.
Actually I am a bit surprised that they even bronze in SO CA.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
We appear to have a similar climate to CA and boxwood appear to be happy with repotting and root prune any time from mid winter here whether leaves are bronzed or green.

Top Bottom