Can Chinese elms be 'encouraged' to backbud in a specific spot?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got great help, and my question was answered.

This is that tiny bit of selfishness.

You are the only one who knows how the tree actually responded. As we have no context to build any education on.

So the etiquette we are speaking of is likely different.

I'm ok with the lack of information, but in order to shield folks from trying this without a healthy tree, then wondering forever why it didn't work, and formulating bogus ideas due to it, that get spread elsewhere, something must be said.

Sucks because all it takes to reveal that education for all, is a few more words, and a few more pictures.

You're not the only one at "fault". The teachers teaching with subpar information to do so are more to blame.

We can all use the forum how we please, this is just a very rare instance where the information may "seem" good. Information that "seems" good kills trees and the will for Newbs to move forward.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, reading your first line I am thinking what the F, but ready the entire post I find I agree whole heartedly.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is that tiny bit of selfishness.
You are the only one who knows how the tree actually responded. As we have no context to build any education on.
I don't get it Sorce. As I mentioned before my post #24 shows the follow-up with a picture. I told everyone how the tree responded. I showed them with a photo.

How am I being selfish?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't get it Sorce. As I mentioned before my post #24 shows the follow-up with a picture. I told everyone how the tree responded. I showed them with a photo.

How am I being selfish?
Don't take it personally. If you read the entire post carefully it is clear it is not a personal attack on you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update on this.

The branch is growing extremely well, so much so that I am now using it as a source for a thread graft.

20200808_04_bonsai_elm_1.jpeg

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good thread, good to know this is a viable option. I can see where sorce is coming from generally speaking but you posted pictures and updates, so no biggie IMO. Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom