Can hackberry hack the heat?

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Where would you put Celtis Occidentalis in the heat/sun tolerance scale? I have limited premium space in my yard for my plants and there's some crowding issues going on! I'm running out of room in the morning-sun shade cloth-afternoon area. I have a nice spot on the other side that gets mid morning and afternoon sun that's available but it gets a little hot there in the summer. My temps range from 75-90 in the summer with a handful of days up to 100. It's low humidity and there's a lot of reflected light and heat (landlord is Greek and likes the parthenon look.)

So I'm looking for a candidate to move to the hotter side.

My hackberry has been doing great this spring on the morning sun side. It gets full morning sun and then by afternoon it's under a 40% shade umbrella. It's happy but starting to get a little chlorosis I think on the outside of the leaves (next year I'm putting it in a better draining anderson flat.) I'm just trying to grow the trunk out some at this stage. It's heading for a trunk chop in a few yrs.

So I moved it last night to the sunnier side (sun from about 10 AM to 5 PM.) I have a Seiju Elm on that side that's doing very well so far. We haven't had any 100 degree days yet though.

Of my plants and in my experience I feel like the tolerance for hot sun goes about like this (#1 most tolerant):

1. JBP, oaks, monterey cypress, atlas and libani cedar
2. Shimpaku, established pomegranate
3. Seiju elm, trident maple, madrone
4. Southwestern White pine, Malus, small starter pomegranate, small starter prunuses
5. Chaenomeles
6. JWP, Acer palmatum, Azalea

What do you think? Can the Hackberry stand the heat?

Any thoughts on my list? I mostly got to this order by trial and error looking at what seemed to be burning... Some of those like Madrone or SWP might be able to handle more sun than I'm giving them...
Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• hackberry old location.jpg
    hackberry old location.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 42
  • hackberry 1.jpg
    hackberry 1.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 42
  • hackberry 2.jpg
    hackberry 2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 40
  • hackberry 3.jpg
    hackberry 3.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 43

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hackberries are weeds :D They can tolerate just about anything. Full sun isn't going to be a problem.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My hackberry loves the sun, I would put it as a number1 as well.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Ok... sounds like a general consensus! Thanks for the advice.
I guess I was worried as it has fairly broad leaves and the map of it's normal distribution doesn't include the south so I thought it might not be a fan of heat.
Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• celtis.jpg
    celtis.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 22

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
There are species that are native to the Mojave desert...

see C. ehrenbergiana

Last edited:

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
and our native celtis africana-out of all our South African bonsai species leaf reduction is the best with this species-in so saying,your leaves are WAAY too big.Put that baby in the sun:)

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks everyone for advice. It's on the sunnier side now. I knew there'd be some hackberry experienced people out there!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My is doing fine,, here in mid-illinois, with all the heat 100+ just been watering twice a day to compensate, also got a drip pan under the pot.

Top Bottom