Can I air layer Magnolia in the fall?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey guys! I have a magnolia that has a ugly trunk+nebari and want to air layer, will they take in the fall or should I just wait till spring? Thanks.

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey guys! I have a magnolia that has a ugly trunk+nebari and want to air layer, will they take in the fall or should I just wait till spring? Thanks.
Definitely wait until spring. Winter weather could definitely kill your air layer over the winter

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I doubt you’ll get much species-specific advice for magnolia as it is not a very suitable species for training as bonsai, thus few people have them. Speaking generally, I am not aware of any species for which air layering in fall is preferable to layering in the spring.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
0CC3183F-2A41-44B8-85FA-782C0183FB17.jpeg
This is the tree , the red line is where I wanna layer.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If it’s a saucer magnolia (pretty purple flowers) it will start to root but it won’t be ready to separate until next summer. I tried a late one last year and it rooted, not enough to separate and it had to over winter still attached to the tree. I separated it in spring thinking it was good to go but come to find out the roots had not hardened off and there was only one or two left. The rest had rotted away over the course of the winter. Needless to say that one did not survive. Your best bet is to just wait till spring, when they are putting on growth they put out roots very easily. 😉

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
10735288-DA74-4C61-8504-BD2CC25FCFC7.png
Here’s a pic with flowers, never really looked to see what kind magnolia is it lol. Maybe you can tell me.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you ..but you all can see why I must air layer it, it'll be a much nicer tree in clumps. I dont really mind the big leaves because the only time it looks nice is when its flowering and at that time no leaves yet heheh.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Banana Magnolia unquestionably best😌. Star Magnolia just OK.
I am unfamiliar with this and that surprised me. It is a great little plant for zone 8. Stellata (star) is a Smallish Japanese magnolia hardy to zone 4.
If the bannana mag was hardy to zone 6 I would have one, but I'm not sure I could tolerate a banana smell for long.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you ..but you all can see why I must air layer it
I'm not so sure. I think right now the biggest problems are that it is terribly underpotted, and it is sticking out of the soil. Put it in a more suitable, much wider pot, lower it into the soil, and you are already well on your way.

repot2.jpg

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not so sure. I think right now the biggest problems are that it is terribly underpotted, and it is sticking out of the soil. Put it in a more suitable, much wider pot, lower the it into the soil, and you are already well on your way.

View attachment 453499
Actually, glad this was brought up ^^^, I would not layer it. The roots are salvageable if potted deeper. I would wait until late winter and re-work the roots into a bit deeper pot. I am sure there is part of the lower root system you could lose.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Actually, glad this was brought up ^^^, I would not layer it. The roots are salvageable if potted deeper. I would wait until late winter and re-work the roots into a bit deeper pot. I am sure there is part of the lower root system you could lose.
Yes, I agree. I think it already has a nice flare at the soil and it would be easier to work the roots horizontally than to start over. You might air-layer and find you only get roots on one side of the tree, or in some other way end up in worse shape than you started - while losing a couple of years in the process.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm not so sure. I think right now the biggest problems are that it is terribly underpotted, and it is sticking out of the soil. Put it in a more suitable, much wider pot, lower it into the soil, and you are already well on your way.

View attachment 453500
This pic was 2 years ago , the tree is in a wider pot now. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am unfamiliar with this and that surprised me. It is a great little plant for zone 8. Stellata (star) is a Smallish Japanese magnolia hardy to zone 4.
If the bannana mag was hardy to zone 6 I would have one, but I'm not sure I could tolerate a banana smell for long.
This is flower smell. Not knowing how long these last, however for many/(most?)this is much of the attraction😌.

Top Bottom