Can I and Should I Defoliate my Tree?

DonnyMega

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I am new and I have a question about if I should defoliate my tree or not. I got it about a week ago and it is not old at all. I was wondering if it would survive if I defoliated it and/or if I should defoliate it. I hope these are enough pictures. Thanks

Attachments

• 3097D505-0160-42FB-9974-00E6BAEB3638.jpeg
    3097D505-0160-42FB-9974-00E6BAEB3638.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 42

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not when they're that young,just let it grow.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not defoliate it at this point. Your tree is very young and defoliation is a technique used on more mature/ refined trees for reducing leaf size. This guy needs all its leaves for energy to grow bigger. I think the "rust" you are noticing is just hard water or fertilizer stains on the leaves. It is not harmful, just a little unsightly. You can wipe the leaves off of you are concerned.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Defoliation is a special technique that seems to attract most beginners but it is not something most growers use regularly.
Defoliation weakens your plant because it has no leaves to make food for a while and then has to grow new leaves which further weakens it.
Only used in special cases for special reasons.
Don't normally defoliate young trees that need to grow.

Your thumbnail pics are hard to check closely so I cannot see any rust on the leaves.

Top Bottom