Can I Bring This Olive Back From the Dead?

stoverock

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi bonsai lovers,

There’s a huge olive stump/growth at the base of a tree at work. I’ve never seen it with foliage and I’m wondering if it’s even alive. I’ve dug down a bit and found some old roots but there’s some rot on the trunk. Would it be possible to dig it up, saw it off, and get it to root and grow? I’m in Napa, CA and these things grow like crazy here.

Attachments

• 8D0D921C-C2B3-488A-9901-2D6B47A4ED0D.jpeg
    8D0D921C-C2B3-488A-9901-2D6B47A4ED0D.jpeg
    499 KB · Views: 122
  • D3E4124D-B2FB-4084-9A8D-62FCB2DAF30C.jpeg
    D3E4124D-B2FB-4084-9A8D-62FCB2DAF30C.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 105

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not if dead. Surely some member of local club or nursery has more likely actually growing tree to be gotten:confused:? Please add location to profile.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it is partof a living tree, and this segment is still alive, then yeah, often this works.
Of course, if really dead it will not.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
these things grow like crazy here.

So this endeavor is akin to going to the Netherlands and buying a plastic tulip from a shop next to a graveyard?

Perhaps you can saw off a better living limb?

Sorce

stoverock

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So this endeavor is akin to going to the Netherlands and buying a plastic tulip from a shop next to a graveyard?

Perhaps you can saw off a better living limb?

Sorce

😂 I'm hoping it's alive, but I don't know how to tell. Can i check under the bark for a green layer like with Junipers? This one is just so interesting that I'm hoping to salvage it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know that I'd go scratching through anything without a scion to graft to it.

Dig around it for investigative purposes?

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi bonsai lovers,

There’s a huge olive stump/growth at the base of a tree at work. I’ve never seen it with foliage and I’m wondering if it’s even alive. I’ve dug down a bit and found some old roots but there’s some rot on the trunk. Would it be possible to dig it up, saw it off, and get it to root and grow? I’m in Napa, CA and these things grow like crazy here.
And the rest of the story is? Why are the photos cutting off the trunk?

stoverock

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And the rest of the story is? Why are the photos cutting off the trunk?
The rest of the story has yet to be written. The photos are of the stump, not the main trunk of the tree. The tree itself is easily 20 feet tall; I’m just hoping to collect the stump.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Olive trunks are routinely cut in random pieces with a chainsaw and planted to grow rough stock for bonsai.
IF the swelling is alive, it should be able to live through what you have in mind.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A stump, which has never produced vegitve growth...🤔 most likely isn't worth a second thought. Olive back bud like crazy...yet there are no signs of any past branching coming from it.

Kind of like driving past roadkill...its past it's prime.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The rest of the story has yet to be written. The photos are of the stump, not the main trunk of the tree. The tree itself is easily 20 feet tall; I’m just hoping to collect the stump.
But is the rest of the tree alive? Because that is the hidden part and you have neglected to mention that detail. Perhaps it slipped your mind that the inquisitive would like to know.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
But is the rest of the tree alive? Because that is the hidden part and you have neglected to mention that detail. Perhaps it slipped your mind that the inquisitive would like to know.
My assumption...the tree it's near, is a different species. Could be wrong though.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As River says, if that is part of the adjacent live tree, then it will sprout if the main trunk is chopped. To be safe, I'd chop the main trunk to zero, dig it and pot it up, sink the pot in a good exposure (full sun, good soil), and wait. Or, if you're lazy and/or timid just chop the main trunk to zero and see what happens. I say for broke, the most you lose is a little time. The possible win is worth it. No guts, no glory.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I used to know a college professor in Ohio who bragged that he raised a large family by picking up roadkill on his daily commute to work. Fresh roadkill is fair game, it’s when it sits for a day or more that it goes bad.

Top Bottom