Can I chop now or wait?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So ive got this cutting (not air layer) of a Benjamina that i am just absolutely sick of looking at. I keep my tropicals indoors about 80F with plenty of humidity. This cutting was taken about 10 months ago and thrown right into this little plastic training pot. I left one leave on the cutting and have pruned slightly a month before the pics. Nice little mame piece but the branching is just terrible to look at. Probably should have just chopped it where I wanted when I first took the cutting...

Anyways I wanna chop it about half way up the trunk. It should back bud nicely I would think seeing how I provide a suitable atmosphere for tropicals. Here where in Missouri it’s usually best to wait till hottest part of the summer for major work on tropicals. Butttt like I said, this ugly little guy 946B1BEE-03B3-40C3-ADFE-1BDA7461AAB5.jpeg747E6D79-CD64-4E0F-9FBD-25B63865DCFF.jpeg02DBD241-41B2-4E35-9F07-536621AB5CA8.jpeg03D5D71B-12A2-49B6-8D8D-6BBAFC035EB8.jpegneeds a makeover ASAP in my opinion. What do you guys think, chop now or wait???

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As you have stated it is benjamina I assume you are sure but there are many Ficus species and these leaves don't look quite like benjamina (or at least the ones I am familiar with)
The Ficus I do grow bud profusely when pruned. I don't grow benjamina but I am told they do not bud on old wood as reliable as most other species. If that's correct I think it would be worth delaying any hard prune to give it the best chance. patience is very valuable for bonsai growers.
If you take the view that it is just a young cutting - no real value then what do you have to lose? It may make it and you will have added more information to the bonsai world either way.

Curious about your urge to chop. Do you have a preconceived idea of how you want this tree to look? What about working with what you already have and designing a tree around the current trunk shape?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The chop has to do with the design I’m looking for. The way the branches are growing, naturally a semi cascade would be ideal in my eyes. I wanna do something more of an upright. Plus grab a a little taper along the way

I thought it was Benjamina, but I could be wrong

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would wait with the drastic pruning until your weather has turned to its normal hot and muggy summer. Ficus are semi-dormant until you are regularly in the 80's and humid. I would put the tree outside for the summer. Do the pruning late May or early June. If it is F. benjamina I would keep at least one branch with a few leaves. Don't prune to a leafless trunk.

It does look like Ficus microcarpa or Ficus retusa to me. But I'm not seeing it in person.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We’ll keep in mind my tropical room is kept at 80F and quit humid. When I do trunk chop there will be no leaves left on top of the tree, although there is one shoot that pops out right at the soil line I guess I’ll keep.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
There is a bonsai nursery a half an hour or so from St.Louis, Cass Bonsai. You might want to visit, they have open shop the next couple Saturdays, you can Google them to see their schedule. Really nice guys, and reasonable prices.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love cass! Every time I go I take at least 30 min just to admire most of their trees. Never been to a workshop though bc I work on Saturdays. Well I did an ancient plant workshop but that’s it

Top Bottom