Can I collect Spruce Yamadori in the Fall?

Reaction score
Hi all,
Found an amazing Engelmann Spruce in the Rocky Mountains.
I've done 100% of my collecting in the spring, but wondering your thoughts on collecting in the Fall.
Everything I've read so far says it's OK as long as precautions are taken for wintering it.
Also, about 90% of this tree's roots are laying on top of a flat rock. This will be the easiest tree I've ever harvested, and the least amount of trauma to the system, FYI.
Anyway, thanx for your thoughts!!
Mark

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's a really good tree stick with the time you have the most confidence in.
You've been having luck collecting in spring,do it then.
I'm a big fan of collecting trees in spring.
My winters are too rough for fall collected material.
I know.
I've tried.
Killed them all.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Go get it.
It will be fine, given your competence in yamadori gathering (assuming "100% of my collecting in the spring" means something more than 1/1).

Trees have a high capacity for root growth/recovery following the summer solstice.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You bet, majority of my Yamadori were collected from late August to mid October but we have (generally) mild winters.
Ps would help if you provide your location.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi all,
I've done 100% of my collecting in the spring, but wondering your thoughts on collecting in the Fall.
Everything I've read so far says it's OK as long as precautions are taken for wintering it.
Also, about 90% of this tree's roots are laying on top of a flat rock. This will be the easiest tree I've ever harvested, and the least amount of trauma to the system, FYI.
Mark
I repot most of my Spruce in the late summer, early fall and they do fine. Collecting a Yamadori is an entirely different problewm. If the tree is growing on the top of a flat rock and will require little disturbance to the root system I would go for it.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve collected three yamadori spruce in the fall and have repotted two of them each once in the fall and the last one twice, both times in the fall all over the last four years. No special over winter care but we don’t get more then a month or two of below freezing. I pretty much only repot my spruce now in the fall so I can spread out the Spring repotting a little.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
Mark

Contact Todd Schlafer/First Branch Bonsai. He collects these and in this general area and is pretty expert at it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't go wrong talking to Todd.

He'd be the guy to know if Engelman collects better in spring.

I'm a get it now.

But you gotta tie it in, then don't baby it. Give it the winter it would have seen anyway.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Mark Landry
You have not mentioned your location. Location matters.

How you plan to winter your trees matters.

That said, if spring works, why mess with success.

If you have mild winters, or can protect your trees in winter, there are plenty of people who have had success with out of season collecting, but there have been plenty of failures too.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I know.
I've tried.
Killed them all.
That's why I hesitate to dig anything up in fall, It goes from mild weather to freezing in heartbeat. I have had success with a few larches and pines though....big rootballs.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Any pic of this great spruce ? 😍

If it's a really good tree stick with the time you have the most confidence in.
You've been having luck collecting in spring,do it then.
I know.
I've tried.
Killed them all.
+1 i think it is better to ensure succes, especially if the spring collecting works fine and if the tree is very good. Imagine, for any reason, the tree collected in autumn dies, you'll blame yourself for years : 'if only i collected it in spring '

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of course, we never really know when any particular tree is about to throw mad roots.

Sorce

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know that many of the professional collectors out here in the Rockies put their fall collected material in a heat bed over winter (only for the first winter, to regenerate roots).

I think you’re rolling the dice unless you have a specific plan for winter protection. First frost isn’t that far off. And you don’t want to being doing the “bonsai shuffle” with a newly collected yamadori...

Safest to just wait till spring.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I repot most of my Spruce in the late summer, early fall and they do fine. Collecting a Yamadori is an entirely different problewm. If the tree is growing on the top of a flat rock and will require little disturbance to the root system I would go for it.
I'm sure it depends, but do you collect conifers in one season in this Michigan sand? With the larger ones, I'm trying to trench half the tree and put it in a garbage bag to hopefully produce enough roots to take it out next year.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm sure it depends, but do you collect conifers in one season in this Michigan sand? With the larger ones, I'm trying to trench half the tree and put it in a garbage bag to hopefully produce enough roots to take it out next year.
Most of my collecting was done in another place and time. I have become too infirmed to make the trips necessary to locations where collecting can prove fruitful. Nursery, seed, and cutting cultivation with the occasional air layer seems to be the limit of my cultivation these days.

Top Bottom