Can I cut this branch stub? (Ume/Plum)

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
I bought this Ume bonsai like this so I have never pruned this tree before and I am new to bonsai. Why was this branch cut with a stub like this? I want to remove the stub...can I?

What is the reason for leaving branch stubs and not cutting them all the way back to the trunk to make it look better? Thanks.

IMG_20200315_145815959.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mume is unreliable when it comes to their leaf buds. THe stub that was there, just did not leaf out in spring. You can see the two dead buds on it. Guess it will not grow anymore, you could remove it. I think I would leave it for another year just to make sure there are no dormant buds at the base of the stub that are activated in spring as I have had buds pop in those situations.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's a temporary, intermediary step. Some trees don't heal well and if cut all the way back take longer to heal, or if the calus surrounding the stem on the trunk (the part of the trunk's growing bark that will grow over the removed branch, if undamaged), is easily damaged and won't heal well. All branches that are cut off shrink back and get skinnier as they dry, too. You cut it off after it has dried, being careful not to disturb the bark on the trunk, and all is well!

Top Bottom