Can i dig it???

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Just found a juniper i want to try to save. Ive read multiple topics on here that of course says wait till spring and some that say fall/autumn. I have permission to dig this plant but im afraid that its due to be cut and trashed soon. My question is as a noob if i can push the destruction date back till mid September would the plant survive and what measures should i take if any to keep this little guy alive.

Attachments

• 20190820_104225.jpg
    20190820_104225.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 115

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
You too! I should probably edit the title

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Straight up though... 👀Lol..or not!

All your answers and comfort can be found in the Summer Repotting thread.

Now is a better time than September.

Waning Moon.

Raining here.

No better time.

Unless you dig it with a Swiss Watch.

Sorce

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Straight up though... 👀Lol..or not!

All your answers and comfort can be found in the Summer Repotting thread.

Now is a better time than September.

Waning Moon.

Raining here.

No better time.

Unless you dig it with a Swiss Watch.

Sorce
I hear that Uranus will be in retrograde too....

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you can have the owner wait until Spring before removal, it’s chances of survival will be much better.
If that’s impossible and they’re going to remove the trees anyway then you’ve got nothing to lose. I would wait until September if at all possible.
When you dig the tree have a grow box prepared to accommodate the roots with just a little extra room but not too much. Try to get as many fine feeder roots as possible and don't cut any foliage. Plant it in pure pumice and keep it in the shade. Make sure that it’s wired into the box so it’s not able to move at all.
I have no idea what the previous poster was talking about the waning moon. Silly. Maybe he’s kidding.

Last edited:

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
If you can have the owner wait until Spring before removal, it’s chances of survival will be much better.
If that’s impossible and they’re going to remove the trees anyway then you’ve got nothing to lose. I would wait until September if at all possible.
When you dig the tree have a grow box prepared to accommodate the roots with just a little extra room but not too much. Try to get as many fine feeder roots as possible and don't cut any foliage. Plant it in pure pumice and keep it in the shade. Make sure that it’s wired into the box so it’s not able to move at all.
I have no idea what the previous poster was talking about the waning moon. Silly. Maybe he’s kidding.
Thank you just wondering whats my chances of survival following these steps if i wait till mid September

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No idea. There are so many variables to consider here. Are you able to get enough feeder roots to sustain the foliar portion of the tree? What is the weather like in the coming weeks and months? Is this particular tree healthy enough to survive transplant in the first place?
IMO Spring collection is a much better bet. I realize that some on here think that a summer repot is fine (there's a big recent thread on it), but that's is really dependent on your local climate, upcoming weather, and your skill level and experience. Here in CA we have an annual drought during the summer. That along with temps hotter than hell in August and relative humidity non-existent make repotting a bad idea. You may be in an area with mild temps and are getting rain. That would certainly help with your chances.
Good luck. I also meant to mention that misting the foliage a couple times a day after collecting will help.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you just wondering whats my chances of survival following these steps if i wait till mid September

Oh yeah...GA is waiting till September. I forgot.

Waning moon for real.

Sorce

Top Bottom