Can I ever this over Superthrive?

Reaction score
im not to new to Bonsai. Been about 3 years, but new to Liqiud Kelp. Just received in the mail today. Yes I'm finally going Organice ha ha. Anyways I'm repotting some trees and I use to use Superthrive or Rhizotonic to soak them and water afterwards. But I seen some many great benefits to using Kelp, but nothing on repotting. Also can I use on newly collected trees. Quick response would be great since I'm about to start the processing

Reaction score
Thanks guys. If kelp users, how did the results change different from your regular stuff? Also how long it take? How often did you use it and did You use your old ferts with this or any ferts with this?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
All the info I found was great, just was making sure if it would be BETTER TO USE over Superthrive.
I think you are getting some snarky short responses because Superthrive is considered by most to be "snake oil". No real proven Benefit, certainly not going to be recommended by most over good, real organic fertilizers. The question is, why are you adding these nutrients when you repot the tree? Conventional wisdom is that you generally allow it to bounce back after a repot before adding fertilizer. That would be my recommendation if you are doing any root work. Wait until it is actively growing again and then feed.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. If kelp users, how did the results change different from your regular stuff? Also how long it take? How often did you use it and did You use your old ferts with this or any ferts with this?
Stopped using Superthrive years ago. No proven benefit for anything. FWIW, Superthrive is NOT a fertilizer. It is a "growth stimulant" made up of B vitamins and some other mystical ingredients. Trees are mostly rendered unable to take up much of anything after they've had their roots disturbed and pruned at repotting.

The "it's better to use it than not" argument is OK, I guess. It's also OK if you want to bang a drum and dance around your tree after repotting. Both will have the same benefit...

Additionally, organics are nice, but not any better than "chemical" fertilizers. Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium are the same elements in both. Trees don't really care. Thing is organics and "chemical" ferts play different roles in growing bonsai. Organics aren't nearly as strong or effective in getting into your trees. The concentration of NPK is vastly lower in organic ferts and isn't as available when applied. Fertlizer cakes for instance has to decay before their nutrients are made available.

Chemical ferts are readily absorbed and used by trees immediately.

With that in mind, you have to consider what you're trying to do with them and where your trees are in development. Generally, organics are used in established trees to give an even, lower dose to keep them from putting out massive growth. Chemical ferts are better for development, fueling faster, more abundant growth.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In general I agree with Rockm, but some brands of kelp have a small but useful percentage of humic acids. Humic acids & humates do have documented benefits, saw a MI State University paper on benefits of humic acids on commercial blueberry crops. So there is some actual science. The paper mentioned seaweed & kelp, as source of humates and humic acids. Some had higher percentage than others, and similarly performed better than others. One benefit of kelp or seaweed as humic acids source is it also helps support re-establishment of mycorrhiza after transplant.

Humic acids & humates from mined sources also were effective, beneficial to the plants and the mycorrhiza.

So, Superthrive is snake oil.

Kelp & seaweed extracts are good if they contain some humates and humic acids. And if you can find other products containing humic acids & humates, even the mined sources, they will have a benefit. And because they are good for mycorrhiza, they are good to use right after repotting.

Do I use them? Yes, but I skip them when money is tight. They are not cheap, and while I think I see a benefit, it's not a huge benefit. But the work out of MSU does suggest they are beneficial.

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
Not hijack the thread but any thoughts on K-L-N? :)
I know some nurseries that do use SuperThrive for newly re-potted trees! they also recommend it and teach it in class! :confused:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not hijack the thread but any thoughts on K-L-N? :)
I know some nurseries that do use SuperThrive for newly re-potted trees! they also recommend it and teach it in class! :confused:
Now that's funny there. Do they SELL superthrive too? I bet they do...

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had the opportunity to experiment with several hundred newly repotted trees, different species, with and without Superthrive. At best it was useless, at worst it decreased survival of some groups, black pine in particular.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had the opportunity to experiment with several hundred newly repotted trees, different species, with and without Superthrive. At best it was useless, at worst it decreased survival of some groups, black pine in particular.
Do you still stand by this statement? Bought a bottle just because, debating using it on some freshly dug or repotted projects. All deciduous, though

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do you still stand by this statement? Bought a bottle just because, debating using it on some freshly dug or repotted projects. All deciduous, though
Purely a placebo but not for the plant. It makes you feel better about beating up your trees. 😁😎

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Didn't see any signs that it hurt deciduous trees, nor that it helped. I don't use it, but agree with ABCarve, if it makes you feel better then use it.

Top Bottom