Can I fertilize now?

Xydan7

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Recently purchase this silverberry and repotted it into a pot. I'm new to bonsai and am trying to get a lot of material to practice on. Was wondering if I should fertilize to invigorate growth or leave it alone?
53145752_621426618271400_8240942308489428992_n.jpg
53215303_375714626347634_4559323782904283136_n.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The rule I go by for fertilizing early is:

Fertilize deciduous early for strong growth/add bulk
Fertilize deciduous in refinement after first flush has hardened (to avoid getting too leggy)

Xydan7

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The rule I go by for fertilizing early is:

Fertilize deciduous early for strong growth/add bulk
Fertilize deciduous in refinement after first flush has hardened (to avoid getting too leggy)

Could you elaborate on your second concept?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Could you elaborate on your second concept?

I am not an expert, just what works for my humble tree collection.

If you are trying to get close internodes with small leaves on deciduous (after main structure has been set) then Fertilizing before first leaf can cause of the first flush to get “leggier” (in my experience with acer and zelkova). This is only for trees in refinement- if you are trying for trunk taper and girth, then fertilize as usual because you want it to get as large as possible.

Once again, this is just what I do. Some of the more knowledgeable people may disagree.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Did you wire it also?

Not that it matters. ??‍♂️

But, for me personally, after I've repotted or done anything with the roots I do NOT immediately start fertilizing. I allow the tree time to recover bit before I start fertilizing.

Xydan7

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Did you wire it also?

Not that it matters. ??‍♂️

But, for me personally, after I've repotted or done anything with the roots I do NOT immediately start fertilizing. I allow the tree time to recover bit before I start fertilizing.
I did wire it, it was a huge mess (I wish I had a before picture) and ultimately I was eager to get my hands dirty.

Interesting. Do you have any resources on fertilizer you refer to occasionally?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I did wire it, it was a huge mess (I wish I had a before picture) and ultimately I was eager to get my hands dirty.

Interesting. Do you have any resources on fertilizer you refer to occasionally?
If you haven't already check out the Colin Lewis wiring tutorial on craftsy. Its free and I still like to watch it.

As far as resources, I'm a simple man. I follow @M. Frary with the extra strength blue juice and foam on foliage. Blue Juice being Miracle Gro. This year I intend to add a little chicken manure a few times a year to take it a step closer to what @Walter Pall does. Also may do a few doses of fish emulsion, still on the fence about that.

http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2010/06/feeding-substrate-and-watering-english.html

Top Bottom