can I germinate my miyasama trident maple seeds?

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
My Miyasama trident has a lot of flowers that overnight turned to the winged keys or seeds.They are still green right now . Do they turn brown and naturally fall off like our regular maples? IS that the best time to plant them? How deep ? Im excited abot this because the damn plant I have was bought sight unseen and has a terrible shape. An almost 90 degree sharp bend about 2 inches above soil line on the main trunk with 2 other trunks coming up ok.Ive set an air layer just above the bend but so far I don't see any roots in the sphagnum moss. Another weird thing is that this tree shows no leaves ! Just different type of leafy structure with the flowers. Im on Long Island,NY zone 7a and its May 29 ,so shouldnt it have real leaves???

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the tree is showing signs of seeds they will stay on during the season to mature and drop in the fall. The seeds will need to be cold stratified prior to germinating. I cold stratify in the fridge, but be aware of time frames because if you stratify right away you could have seeds popping in your fridge over winter.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
OK, so really just let mother nature take care of them. They are not signs ,they are fully developed green winged seeds. So when they fall I will put them into my pot of bonsai soil and just leave it outdoors thru winter. That should work out right? I know some of our native maples drop seeds in spring time and they are dry and brown and just lay on top of the ground and still sprout into the soil.By fall the little seedlings drop there leaves and go dormant.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do these seeds even need stratification? Taiwan rarely dips below 50 degrees in the winter. The only subtropical maple I am familiar with is the southernmost range of red maple. And those are ready to go as soon as they fall off the tree.

taiwan-temp.png

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
ok, all has failed letting it stay outdoors thru the winter in some soil and kept damp to moist. Looks like they rotted. And if Taiwan is 50 degrees in winter time then perhaps they should be germinating right after they fall off and onto the ground. Actually mine didnt fall as it got colder outside I just picked them off but they were not green and had turned brown.

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read somewhere that their seeds never germinate. Not sure if that is true. I do know that the cuttings are reluctant to root. The guy i got mine from said out of 100 cutting like 14 percent root.

Top Bottom