Can I get your opinion on this elm?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll leave the backstory out because it's sorta long, but I'm trying to negotiate the purchase of this tree. I think the elm looks like it's in very bad shape. There's only one tuft of leaves on the back side of the trunk. The trunk, to me, looks like it's dying and the bark is falling off. The seller insists that they just "cleaned it up" that morning and that's why there's so little growth. My stance is that I'm really just in it for the pot and I'll be taking a chance on the tree. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to this forum and so far it's been great!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll leave the backstory out because it's sorta long, but I'm trying to negotiate the purchase of this tree. I think the elm looks like it's in very bad shape. There's only one tuft of leaves on the back side of the trunk. The trunk, to me, looks like it's dying and the bark is falling off. The seller insists that they just "cleaned it up" that morning and that's why there's so little growth. My stance is that I'm really just in it for the pot and I'll be taking a chance on the tree. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to this forum and so far it's been great!

View attachment 258186
Personally, i see very little reason to purchase the tree or the pot. What value do you place on the pot? Do you have a tree that you think would look good in that style and color?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree with Frank. What is so special about the pot and/or the tree? What does he want for the tree and pot?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
looks like a bonsai guy, i would be a little weary of a bonsai guy trying to sell you a half dead tree. i dont see any growth on it in this picture. i would steer clear....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoever the seller is, I would take what he says with a grain of salt. The tree isn't healthy--elms are extremely hard to kill. this one looks pretty near dead. The roots and soil look compacted too. Weeds are never a good sign and show the seller hasn't been keeping up with much of anything, and doesn't care if it shows....

I'd also agree that pot isn't all that. It's pretty run of the mill (and probably Chinese --which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless the seller is telling you its Japanese and pumping up the price...)

I'd pay $40 at the high end for the tree and pot...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Whoever the seller is, I would take what he says with a grain of salt. The tree isn't healthy--elms are extremely hard to kill. this one looks pretty near dead. The roots and soil look compacted too. Weeds are never a good sign and show the seller hasn't been keeping up with much of anything, and doesn't care if it shows....

I'd also agree that pot isn't all that. It's pretty run of the mill (and probably Chinese --which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless the seller is telling you its Japanese and pumping up the price...)

I'd pay $40 at the high end for the tree and pot...

$40 is actually what I offered lol and I was just being nice. It's a neglected bonsai nursery. The daughter of the owner is selling off the plants and supplies since the land has been sold to another business. She wanted $150. I told her I'll be back in a few weeks to get it for $40 after no one buys it. There are very little bonsai suppliers here, so I wanted the pot to train a tree that I'll be putting into its first bonsai pot next year.

punsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
$40 is actually what I offered lol and I was just being nice. It's a neglected bonsai nursery. The daughter of the owner is selling off the plants and supplies since the land has been sold to another business. She wanted $150. I told her I'll be back in a few weeks to get it for $40 after no one buys it. There are very little bonsai suppliers here, so I wanted the pot to train a tree that I'll be putting into its first bonsai pot next year.

$150! :oops:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's charity at $40 too.

Sorce

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Going out of business bonsai nursery? Where is this exactly...

Top Bottom