Can I grow this indoors?

robert.m

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in Ontario, Canada and I want to get this bonsai that I saw in store. It is a Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus Virginia) according to my plant identification app. It gets quite cold here in the winter (-30 Celsius at some times). I’m wondering if I would be able to grow this outdoors during the summer and bring it inside during the winter.

Attachments

• AC9090DB-DDA1-4BEF-A356-EC661E3667FE.jpeg
    AC9090DB-DDA1-4BEF-A356-EC661E3667FE.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 40

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Junipers are usually very hardy and need a winter dormancy. It's probably a Juniperus procumbens? The internet tells me it's hardy to zone 4 and that Toronto is zone 6 so there should be no trouble keeping it out all year. If you're worried you can always just sink the pot into the ground.

robert.m

Seedling
Reaction score
Okay, so should I keep it in full sun all year? Also is there anything I should cover it with in the winter? Or could I keep it under my backyard deck that is 10 feet above the ground?

Do you know how much I should water it?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Toronto is WARM (For junipers that would be sold ANYWHERE near you).. Junis need unfiltered sun and a CLEARLY defined dormancy period.. never indoors. :)

You’ll be fine in toasty Zone 6

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Okay, so should I keep it in full sun all year? Also is there anything I should cover it with in the winter? Or could I keep it under my backyard deck that is 10 feet above the ground?

Do you know how much I should water it?
Water when dry.. water THROUGH.. until your drainage holes are a’pourin’, bud.

🤓

Wintering under said deck sounds like a great idea. Pressed up against a wall or in a corner.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You will need to provide "winter protection" which could be mulched against the foundation of your house, preferably north or east side.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm pretty sure it is a juniperus procumbens nana and it should be able to cope with your winters.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I should have added, that this tree which is a juniperus procumbens Nana, must have dormancy below 40 degrees F in the winter. It will not survive long term wintering in your warm house.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's in them Love Buckets?

Sorce

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's only me, or can you see in the picture some whitened buds? . Not by any means an expert, but I should not buy that particular tree..... (I´m probably wrong)

Top Bottom