Can I keep these little plants in my Bonsai pot?

Reaction score
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in. So figured the beginner one would be best lol. Anyways these little plants been sprouting up and growing at the bottom of my Trident Maple. I have no problem with them because I think they look cool and give some character to the tree in the pot, but if there going to hurt the tree in anyway then yes there's a big problem lol!!! I know some plants are beneficial and also some plants can stay in the pot as a companion plant. So what should I do? Let me know what ya think. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 92

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in. So figured the beginner one would be best lol. Anyways these little plants been sprouting up and growing at the bottom of my Trident Maple. I have no problem with them because I think they look cool and give some character to the tree in the pot, but if there going to hurt the tree in anyway then yes there's a big problem lol!!! I know some plants are beneficial and also some plants can stay in the pot as a companion plant. So what should I do? Let me know what ya think. Thanks!

Nothing is "beneficial" in the pot with it bar aesthetics. Some type of ivy?? Id pull it.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not a big deal, but they do compete with your tree for nutrients, water, and space for roots to grow - so enjoy them for a while, then ...

I have ferns occasionally pop up in some of my pots. The will quickly become a problem, but once a fern showed up in a rhododendron 'Carmen' of mine. It looked quite nice, especially when 'Carmen' was in bloom - after that it was banished from the pot!

2016-04-05 12.34.45.jpg

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
They almost look like some kind of pepperonium, are they thick & fleshy?

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do away with them before they become a problem. The pot is small no more rounder then your average coffee can and shallow at that. So it wouldn't take long for them to over stay there welcome lol. I think I may also take them out and pot them as suggested just to see what comes of them. Thanks again

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
before they become a problem

Same like the Damn bugs....

They are a problem as soon as they bare their little green heads.

The only thing more satisfying than smashing an aphid...

Leaving a tiny weed with it's one thin root exposed to the sun on a hot rock.

Better than that?

Aphids on the weed....
Pulled and set aflame!
Ultimate 2fer!

Weeds pull out of pure DE easy...
But try pulling them out of bark nuggets....

Anti bark collar.....

Bark is for the outside of our trees....
Not to grow in!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Prettiest weeds I've seen in a long time :) If you didn't have them growing somewhere in your yard, I would actually consider transplanting them. They are quite pretty, in my opinion.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Those are a Viola species, related to the Violets in your lawn, Johnny Jump Ups, and the Pansy bedding plants.

The leaves are attractive, in cool spring weather they have lovely blue- violet flowers, in warm weather they are cleistogamous, meaning the flowers never open, they go from bud to seed, self pollinating without opening.

A few won't hurt your tree, if you want, pot them up separately, use them as an accent plant. They are tough to get rid of once they have set seed in your pot. But they are not a big problem, a nice looking weed.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was guessing Violet or Cyclamen. Is there developing bulb on plant? Either way nice flowers:cool:.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Those are a Viola species, related to the Violets in your lawn, Johnny Jump Ups, and the Pansy bedding plants.

The leaves are attractive, in cool spring weather they have lovely blue- violet flowers, in warm weather they are cleistogamous, meaning the flowers never open, they go from bud to seed, self pollinating without opening.

A few won't hurt your tree, if you want, pot them up separately, use them as an accent plant. They are tough to get rid of once they have set seed in your pot. But they are not a big problem, a nice looking weed.

You know a bunch of stuff Leo! I love it!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get dam red maples popping out in my pots.
The seeds blow off of 2 giant ones in my yard and grow.
Can safely say they don't need any of that stratification crap.
I toss them on the ground as soon as I see the things.

Top Bottom