Can I make a jin in a bougainvillea?

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello
Well that is the question... Can I make a jin in a bougainvillea? I ask because I am confused here I heard some one said they will rot easily but some were in google I found: Jin/Shari: Bougainvillea are one of the few non-conifers suited to jin and shari. Treat deadwood with lime sulphur.

so it's 50% yes and 50% they will die back :confused:
please help :(

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
you can do anything you want, jose. if you think it'll improve your tree, go for it.

best wishes, sam

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Yes, they carve well enough. The wood is fairly soft, tho, so you'll have to repeat the lime-sulfur treatments a little more often.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cant say so from personal experience, but I've heard they have problems with dead wood rotting easily.

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Advice me here... What should I do

Thanks all your response
Ok first I am NEW to Bonsai I haven't taken any classes all I know its from the internet videos and a book, so yea only 1 book so far and tools well still thinking what to buy first or if to enter a bonsai club.
Ok the point my question its this
which way I Should go with the bougainvillea I found dieing.
first pic on my had its the the one I found and started cleaning removing fungus and rotten wood ( I hope it dose not keep rotting)
the second pic its a bougainvillea
the third one its a yew.

Attachments

• IMAG0621.jpg
    IMAG0621.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 61
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0622.jpg
    IMAG0622.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 59

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Creating jin is not your first priority. Get the 'bougie' healthy and growing good first. This will take some time. Bonsai is never an instant success hobby. Use this time to work with and learn about plant material. If you have access to a local club check it out. Hang out with other bonsai 'nuts'. Learn from their experiences. Enjoy. :)

And WELCOME to a new world of discovery and pleasure!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Some more information will help:

1. Where are you located?
2. Are either of these photos of the bougainvillea current?
3. What is the condition of the tree presently?

Probably best to start a new thread for the yew and include better photos with specific questions.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If it wre my Bougainvilea, I would NOT do a jin on it. The first reason has already bee stated. You will have to spend too much of your time in a -- finally futile -- effort to preserve it.

The second is that in a Bougainvillea, the prim e feature is the flower bracts and a jin would be like gilding a lilly. Few flowering plants look good with jin.

But, as always, it is your tree.

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Wao I am impress of all the help full replays (why bonsai people are so nice? have anyone else noticed?)
To Brian Van Fleet:
Puerto Rico,
yes ill place 5 more pic of the bougainvillea,
the current condition its ... well I just save it from death by lack of water at this moment its drinking water and the leafs turn green and open like a sponge. I have it hanging on its trunk inside a small bucket so it dose not rest on its delicate roots yesterday all day I let the roots touch water until the 10:00 PM after that I took the water out.

I just came from buying some "lava rock"( I don't know the name neither the person that sold it he said lava rock .... I was looking for akadama) the rocks are small and red with a lot of pores ( the bag do not have a name) do you guys know whats the name of that red small rock ?

Pictures
1 possible front because of the 2 hollow and some uros
2 its the back I have not finished working on that area
3 left side
4 right side
5 leaf
The leaf its small and the thorns are short, thin, and curved at the tips so I believe its a Glabra.

Dose picture were taken just now!

Attachments

• IMAG0626.jpg
    IMAG0626.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0625.jpg
    IMAG0625.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0628.jpg
    IMAG0628.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0627.jpg
    IMAG0627.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG0630.jpg
    IMAG0630.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Love Puerto Rico! Haven't been in a few years, but used to work my way from Aguadilla to Carolina regularly.

Get the bougie potted ASAP, the lava rock is a great soil component, and you should mix some bark with it as well, maybe 50/50. Get it growing strong and then we can look at styling.

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Red Scoria Thanks henryhenry you nail it.
Brian Van Fleet
I could not wait and pot it and I cut some branches here are the before and after pictures stile is Fukinagashi (easy to remember that name:eek:).

The third picture is what I'm thinking on doing probably this Wednesday, color red arrow I'll rise that branch so the one colored blue can be seen on the teal arrow I'll lower that branch to the front and back ( need to work on the depth )
the yellow well that is the one I was thinking on making a jin but know ill let it grow and cover that area on top.

So yes the jin can be done, but its not recommendable in a trunk of a bougainvillea.

Last question :) tell me guys since I am a newbie and this is taking me a lot of time, what I did to the bougainvillea dose it look good?

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 30
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 150
  • thnking.jpg
    thnking.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 149
Top Bottom