Can I prune needle junipers during winter?

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Define "prune". Like major structural cutting, or minor branch corrections, etc. Those are very different activities.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can, but I wouldn’t get too carried away. During the growing season, Tosho are very strong growers, and don’t skip a beat from pruning. I did structural pruning on mine in early spring.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The only reason I see for not pruning in winter is infection as compartmentalisation processes are also slow then. Juniper does not seem to be affected by diseases and infections like cherry or peach so I prune all year round as necessary. My climate is quite diffrent from yours though so consider local advice.
Bonsai growers really need to think long term. A few months may seem an eternity to an enthusiastic new grower but in bonsai terms next spring is just a blink.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Junipers store their energy over the winter in their foliage so it is not a good idea to remove alot of foliage in the winter.
It is best to wait until spring when the tips on the ends of branches start to plump up and get new growth starting.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Junipers store their energy over the winter in their foliage so it is not a good idea to remove alot of foliage in the winter.
It is best to wait until spring when the tips on the ends of branches start to plump up and get new growth starting.
Yes and.. Less foliage = less evaporation. Where I live, winters are WET. So I want to have all foliage I can get in winter, and prune when I see spring knocking.

Top Bottom