Can I repot bougainvillea in the winter?

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Really need some repotting advice.

I just bought this 25-year-old bougainvillea. It didn't come within a pot. I understand bougainvillea likes to be repotted in the summer. But I really don't want to leave it in a plastic bag. Worried it could kill the plant. I live in an apartment building in New York. The indoor temperature is about 75 degrees. Outdoor is about 40 - 50 degrees. Can I repot the bougainvillea now?

Thank you. Happy New Year!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 49

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you. I will not touch the root. Just put it in a pot and repot it in the spring or summer.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good luck.
Putting it in soil and stabilizing it will get it ready for the spring. These are tough plants. Just be careful not to give it too much care or water until it can get full sunlight and heat.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They are indeed tough. In Honduras, they grow in beside the highway dirt and cover the entire sides of houses. The biggest problems I see are over watering, soil pH (They like it more acid, like azaleas) and failure to keep the soil from freezing during the winter. I have overwintered mine in the garage (Zone8a) with little to no light. My winter's end, they looked horrible and then came right back out within a few weeks. Keeping them dry helps with bracket formation, which occurs on new growth.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
They are indeed tough. In Honduras, they grow in beside the highway dirt and cover the entire sides of houses. The biggest problems I see are over watering, soil pH (They like it more acid, like azaleas) and failure to keep the soil from freezing during the winter. I have overwintered mine in the garage (Zone8a) with little to no light. My winter's end, they looked horrible and then came right back out within a few weeks. Keeping them dry helps with bracket formation, which occurs on new growth.
Yes but you have a tropical climate they have to grow them most of the year indoors, is not the same by any means xD

Top Bottom