Can I save this Maple?

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
6CBA987B-4EBA-4460-AAF0-FBF239AFC54A.jpeg Last year when I started on my new house the builder came in and chopped down several trees that were in his way. This Maple was one of them. It refused to die and is putting up a lot of sprouts. Now I am going to build a garage and guess what is right in the way. The Maple has to come out within the next couple of weeks. Is there any chance that I could dig it up this time of the year and have it live? The builder will just bulldoze it out of the way so it is doomed if I leave it. The thing is that I see several hours of digging and sawing to try to save it and if it probably won’t live, I don’t want to waste my time.

Attachments

• 48179091-F3CE-4538-A856-CCB7C67BC33D.jpeg
    48179091-F3CE-4538-A856-CCB7C67BC33D.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 16

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have big one I cut down almost to the ground and that stupid thing is still sprouting new shoots, they are very vigorous. I would but that’s just me, I would put it in the shade for awhile if you do just to be safe. Good luck.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Maple has to come out within the next couple of weeks. Is there any chance that I could dig it up this time of the year and have it live?

Where I live it would limp along for the rest of the season and go to sleep forever in the Fall. I have tried several methods and types and I simply don't try off season anymore. I don't want to rain on your parade but here it would be a not doable :(

Grimmy

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
" The thing is that I see several hours of digging and sawing to try to save it and if it probably won’t live, I don’t want to waste my time." This is the key. The larger the rootball the better chance you have of saving it. I have successfully dug trees this size when I worked for a wholesale plant nursery. It required a lot of burlap, a root cage and a front end loader to move it though.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've transplanted Japanese maples in the heat of summer without issue. The question is.... how big is the trunk and how old? The larger and older, the less chance of success. You must get a lot of feeder roots with undisturbed soil to aid the transplant's recovery.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The trunk where it was cut is 4” in diameter about 6” above the ground. It has a great nebari which leads me to believe the roots are going to be huge.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The trunk where it was cut is 4” in diameter about 6” above the ground. It has a great nebari which leads me to believe the roots are going to be huge.
If you think it's worth it, go for it. That's a big tree that will need a big root ball... and a sharp hand saw or sawz-all to get out of the ground!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's dead if you don't move it so if you like it, try! Dig the biggest ball you can handle, put it in part sun, and water the hell out of it. Then hope for the best!

But yeah, often if you dig outside of dormancy it gives up the ghost.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It has large leaves and long internodes. I don't know if it would be worth the effort.

Any tree that was chopped down without touching the roots has long internodes and big leaves.

If you uproot it and put it in a grow bow, they will gradually reduce. And yes, asking them tu uproot it with the bulldozer is the right option. You can then prune the roots before potting it.

Top Bottom