Can I split this Juniper in two?

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I started this plant from a cutting about 4-5 years ago and now it's time to re-pot. The tree is healthy.

My primary concern is to preserve the upright half on the left in the image, this will be a good plant to keep working on.

However, I thought it might be possible to split it in two (see red line) leaving roots on each part thereby saving the right side for a second plant.

Keeping in mind the left half is more important would I be better off to
  1. split it down the middle, including the roots, or
  2. prune the right half off above the soil line, seal the wound on the main trunk, and then try to root the cut part in soil?
IMG_1104 2.jpg

IMG_1105 2.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why🧐? Personally see great start for twin trunk with basic good movement already. Divide will give 2 trees with no roots one side(BAD). These common as weeds. If needing another just buy one;).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have done it. Now I have two junipers with flat cuts on their trunk that will never heal. This juniper is a bit smaller though, but I agree with potawatomi that you'll end up with at least one tree with roots on just one side of the trunk.
Groundlayer it instead, maybe? Jam some moss around the right hand one, and it'll probably root all around trunk.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Does it actually have roots on both trunks? OP infers it may but not actually specific.
1. No roots on the smaller trunk = cutting. It is small and may survive as a cutting. Main trunk will grow as well without the smaller trunk.
2. Roots on both sides. Both likely to survive and grow well but there may be some short term scarring from the division.
3. Roots on both sides. Both are likely to survive and both are very young so the cuts will soon heal. Cuts on both sides are likely to produce new roots from exposed cambium so will end up with good nebari. Even if nebari is not right round the trunk juniper are not really known for great nebari.

Ask yourself whether the twin trunk is good enough to keep developing. many just do not work together.
Ask yourself if the new second trunk could be replaced for less cost than the roots on the single trunk tree - can you buy a new small tree similar to the small trunk or would you give 2-3 years to achieve a similar tree. 2-3 years is what new roots will take.
I don't care which way you go. The value is in replacing either trunk and the roots V the time taken to do so.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Secret option Nr 3. Leave it on, let it grow. Use it to fatten the base of the plant.

In tim, either Yin it, or layer it off.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a quarter....

Shoulda been a half dollar.

Sorce

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When plants go to school, the first thing the teacher barks at them is, "NEVER GROW TWO TRUNKS !
It will make people confused and you may get thrown away."

That's what they say.

Top Bottom