Can I use Beeswax on my deadwood

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I use beeswax polish mixed with vegetable oil on my deadwood
I would think it would be messy. Beewax polish melts and can run at pretty low temps. Oil and wax in the soil could be a problem. Don't know though.

Fani Snyman

Seedling
Reaction score
I would think it would be messy. Beewax polish melts and can run at pretty low temps. Oil and wax in the soil could be a problem.
It is my own magic mix highly purified wax from a friend of mine. I mix the wax 1 to 3 with linseed oil. It is then applied very sparingly with no runoff or melting and absorbed into the wood. Will try and attach a photo8D801009-6249-466F-A5BA-3A25F8925874.jpeg55BEC2FF-AEE9-4A72-8EE0-485EE28C2183.jpeg

Fani Snyman

Seedling
Reaction score
My concern however relates to newly created deadwood with h the exposed area still not dried out. Not always keen on lime sulphur on all kinds of trees especially broad leafed varieties

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you might have other fish to fry. This is a honeysuckle? Looks like you've got chlorosis and weak growth...

Fani Snyman

Seedling
Reaction score
No it is not a honeysuckle it is kei Apple inherited recently from a neighbour moving house. The new growth is actually quite strong. Not sure what other fish to fry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, I have no idea where you are or what plants you're working on because you haven't filled in any of that info in your profile. Please do that.

As for the tree, yeah, it doesn't look very healthy. New growth, I assume, on a kei apple isn't yellow and chlorotic. I see no new strong growth...maybe it's the picture and angle?

Fani Snyman

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently repotted this little tree and emphasised the sorry looking piece of deadwood. Early days but very happy. The photo was taken in bright African sun but I have no further concerns about this tree. Merely replying an earlier response to show the effect of the beeswax on an old neglected piece of deadwood. My original question remains a big healthy tree I am working and creating new deadwood. It is a broadleaf Australian Flame so I am not very keen on using lime sulphur. I was enquiring whether it would work if I let the exposed area dry , maybe torch it a bit and the use beeswax. It actually draws onto the exposed wood and utilises some of the magic elements within the natural wax. I think I should rather be brave and follow my instincts.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What is it you're trying to achieve? A certain look? Protection?

If you want to protect the wood but dislike lime sulphur because it whitens too much, just mix it with water. This way it won't cause as much whitening, but will still provide a level of protection.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I recently repotted this little tree and emphasised the sorry looking piece of deadwood. Early days but very happy. The photo was taken in bright African sun but I have no further concerns about this tree. Merely replying an earlier response to show the effect of the beeswax on an old neglected piece of deadwood. My original question remains a big healthy tree I am working and creating new deadwood. It is a broadleaf Australian Flame so I am not very keen on using lime sulphur. I was enquiring whether it would work if I let the exposed area dry , maybe torch it a bit and the use beeswax. It actually draws onto the exposed wood and utilises some of the magic elements within the natural wax. I think I should rather be brave and follow my instincts.
My concern would be the visual effect of linseed oil and bees wax combination. Typically I work towards an aged weathered look on shari and jin. the more natural weathered it looks the better. So my initial thought would be to test it over time to make sure that it does not leave a shiny new look. I would also consider allowing freshly carved areas to dry out for a while before applying so that it penetrates better rather than sits on the surface. just a couple of suggestions. Here is an example of the weathered look that I prefer. This is my Sierra Juniper, I am using Lime Sulphur to preserve the deadwood, but I do add a small amount of black India ink to give it a more natural grey tone as opposed to the bleached white. The other approach can be to use more diluted lime sulphur to weaken brightening effect.
There are also several brands of wood sealers that can be used to penetrate the wood for some preservative effect and they can be died to change the surface effect. However, I have found that most of them tend to leave a shiny residue. Not the direction I prefer.
Hope the comments help.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 30

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How'd we go from Vegetable to Linseed?

I was just looking at a thing a couple days ago about the difference between drying and non-drying (rotting) oils.

I would guess beeswax would lock in the putrid.

But of which oil are we actually speaking?

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How'd we go from Vegetable to Linseed?

I was just looking at a thing a couple days ago about the difference between drying and non-drying (rotting) oils.

I would guess beeswax would lock in the putrid.

But of which oil are we actually speaking?

Sorce

Linseed oil IS a vegetable oil. It comes from flax. Food grade linseed oil can be used in cooking, or as a dietary supplement. When I think linseed oil, I think oil painting. Dries very slowly. Wouldn't be my first choice as a wood preservative, though I know it is used in some furniture applications, but it takes WEEKS to build up the finish. However because it is slow to dry it is supposed to penetrate deeper than many other finishes.

As far as beeswax goes, I agree with you. I would be worried that applying wax on top of deadwood would simply create a moist environment under the wax and accelerate rot. Lime sulfur doesn't "seal" deadwood, it simply kills anything that would cause the deadwood to rot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Linseed oil IS a vegetable oil. It comes from flax

Sounds like a different "cultivar" of flax.
Capture+_2022-05-12-06-13-34.png
Capture+_2022-05-12-06-13-56.png

All I know....
The chickens don't eat the flax s... ....weed.

20220512_061546.jpg

One of "them" things, where the internet is always correct per Abe.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sounds like a different "cultivar" of flax.
I have no idea... if you look online it appears that there is only one plant (Linum usitatissimum) but people call it different names depending where they live(?) I just know it from my woodworking... and I hate it because it never dries and every particle of dust in your neighborhood ends up affixed to your workpiece :)

[EDIT] I just found another reference that suggests that Australia and NZ have a native plant that is in a completely different genus that they call "flax" but it has nothing to do with Linum usitatissimum [/EDIT]

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd agree on the linseed oil. It is a very poor ingredient for this. Same for beeswax. Can't really get my head around why the OP wants to make deadwood look like furniture. Perhaps they can explain the thinking?

Lime sulphur is perfectly good, proven and effective. If you don't like the stark white color it produces, it can be dyed with everything from shoe polish to ink. You can also apply a wash of that over the treated wood to bring out the depth of grain.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sounds the same as breeding Marijuana for CBD or THC yeah? Same plant, different... variety?

Could be why some studies say flax seed is good for you and some say it's bad.

Sorce

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Lime sulphur is perfectly good, proven and effective. If you don't like the stark white color it produces, it can be dyed with everything from shoe polish to ink. You can also apply a wash of that over the treated wood to bring out the depth of grain.
Just did a small lime sulphur patch on the trunk of my curry tree, Murraya koenigii . looks good but i might try the ink trick

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
I sure hope there are a lot of experts, that's why I ask questions here. Also, Picasso is mid.

Top Bottom