Can I use cedar granules for pests in bonsai soil?

J.joye

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am brand new to bonsai. But I have been raising some silver maples for about two years now. And I understand that silver maples are not good bonsai material but my plan is to take for braid the trunk and then make a big foliage bowl at the top. It would be between 4 to 6 feet high in a 15 gallon pot. Which brings me to my question: could I use cedar granules in place of pine chips in the soil in order to keep pests away naturally? Killing two birds with one stone. Also I know with that many trees it would probably be a heavy feeder. If anyone has advice on soil and feeding that would be awesome.

Attachments

• 9CC83102-599E-43D2-8CC5-3C1E98950102.jpeg
    9CC83102-599E-43D2-8CC5-3C1E98950102.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 12

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As long as it is not the sum total, but Used as one of the components, it’s just bark.
Cedar is resistant to termites, but it won’t keep termites out, they just won’t eat it.
In short yes you can use it without harm to your plant or tree, but don’t expect to not have
pests.

How are you using the cedar? It appears in the attached picture, that you’ve covered
the surface. What pests are you concerned about that this application may be effective?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You are covering a lot of subject areas in one post. Let's start with the primary question - can you use cedar granules for pests in bonsai soil?

Even that question is a little complicated. "Pests" in soil are usually uncommon. In fact, healthy bonsai soil should be "alive" with micro flora and fauna. I regularly get mushrooms and moss sprouting in my pots - which is typically the sign of a healthy environment. So I wouldn't necessarily use cedar granules to control "pests". However, there is nothing wrong using cedar chips as an organic soil component - if and when you need an organic soil component.

Some of your other points touch on the art of bonsai - and what it is versus what it isn't. Bonsai is about evoking a sense of nature in a small enclosed space. You want your tree in a pot to look like an old tree in nature. Yes, you have some artistic license to style in some movement or otherwise make the tree a little less "natural" looking, but braiding trunks would look glaringly unnatural - at least as bonsai. What you are describing would be a topiary - something you would find in a formal garden, where trees are styled and pruned to take on geometric shapes or look like animals, etc. Both are art forms using trees - but the goals and results are quite different.

I wouldn't say silver maples are "bad" bonsai material - but they are challenging. However I think if you are raising your trees from seed, you could overlook some of the challenges because the trees have an emotional connection to you. Try looking at photos of old silver maples in nature, find a photo you like, and then create a plan for how to grow your tree to fit the photo. And enjoy the journey!

silver2.jpg

J.joye

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for the advice! Yes I understand it isn’t a bonsai tree…… I have numerous seedling some I want to try in bonsai style but wasn’t sure how to do that thanks for the idea, I’ll do that( look up pictures to style them).….. I am about to repot some larger ones from outside.that isn’t cedar at the bottom of that pot it’s just mulch. I was looking to add ceder granules to the soil when I repot the ones ouside

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still have no idea where you are. Since I am on the east coast I will address Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperous virginiana). I would not use this as part of a soil mix. It is not going to control insect pests and may very well inhibit plant growth. There are a number of plants that don't grow under cedars. There is a reason why pine bark and fir bark are used. There is no sense to trying to re-invent it.
On the other hand, silver maple is a real weed tree and it probably wouldn't hurt it.
If you are going to continue on this site, there would be great benefit to putting your location in your profile.

Top Bottom