Can I water my trees with pond wate

EdHJr92

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking about using a water pump this summer to water my trees with water out of my pond. Thumbs up?? Thumbs down??

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would. Have buckets all around my place to collect all the extra fresh rain water I can.

And if.you have fish and what not in there it will help your plants out.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use dirty fish tank water for my house plants. I don't think its full of nutrients or anything, but its de-chlorified and of balanced PH. seems to work well enough. I would say pond water is good.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All my bonsai are watered from my koi pond. Huge diffrence in health. My tap water would kill most trees in 6 months.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use dirty fish tank water for my house plants. I don't think its full of nutrients or anything, but its de-chlorified and of balanced PH. seems to work well enough. I would say pond water is good.

I do the same. I store aqua water after the tank cleaning... with detritus, algae... And I think it's rich on N + P, don't know exact numbers and other elements, but the plants love it.

EdHJr92

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks a lot guys it's a frog pond that takes up around a half acre. I'll just have to try it out this summer!!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its full of nitrogen and other good stuff, if the filter works. I use water from my aquaponics tank, full of fish poo. If your water is right it will help them be healthy. If its got too many nitrogen compounds it will burn them like any fertalizer can. Yes, pondwater is good.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, it depends on fish species kept. My Malawi cichlids wouldn't survive if N-level were too high.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anything will die with too much N. I use tilapia and localy caught native ciclids or catfish, whatever. And a turtle and a clam. But in aquaponic systems the grow bed has the bacteria to convert N into plant food, but also leaves the water super clear. I use the solids too for fértilizer.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Its full of nitrogen and other good stuff, if the filter works. I use water from my aquaponics tank, full of fish poo. If your water is right it will help them be healthy. If its got too many nitrogen compounds it will burn them like any fertalizer can. Yes, pondwater is good.

I've read somewhere that the amount of nitrogen in fish tank water is fairly negligible for plants, yes its there, yes its good for plants, but certainly does not take the place of fertilizer. I could be wrong. I add ferts to the water when I want to fertilize my plants.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've read somewhere that the amount of nitrogen in fish tank water is fairly negligible for plants, yes its there, yes its good for plants, but certainly does not take the place of fertilizer. I could be wrong. I add ferts to the water when I want to fertilize my plants.

My post wasn't about using it for fertilizer. I use it as a source of aged water that doesn't have any chlorine or chloramines. Our tap water in Southern California is horrific, and has extremely high levels of both.

If nitrates got high enough in my pond water so that I could use it for fertilizer, I'd have all kinds of problems with algae, so I try to keep nitrates as low as possible.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
One caveat. I once watered my garden with pond water forgetting that I had recently treated the pond with algacide.... Dead garden!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking about using a water pump this summer to water my trees with water out of my pond. Thumbs up?? Thumbs down??
Cass bonsai in edwardsville Illinois waters their whole nursery with pond water. They pump into a SS tank to add fert and them irrigate.

suzmyers

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
We water all the landscaping in our very large yard with pond water and it grows wonderfully. I never considered using it for my bonsai's but it sounds like a great idea.

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just starting into bonsai, got a kit for xmas (thanks son). And have koi pond in back yard just got it back up running from approx. 5 years of neglect. (Just bought house pond was there). So i got it up going cleaned out got some comets, shubunkin, and a few koi in it. And they just going crazy thriving!
But i thought of this using some of the pond waters for watering, not a full stand alone, but grab a gallon here or there.. you guys/gals (to many to list) have given me confidence that theory is sound and give it a shot.. so thank you folks!

D

Deleted member 21616

@Wilson have you ever noticed if Yves uses the water from his pond on his trees?

Top Bottom