Can I water Satsuki Azalea Bonsai with tap water?

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
I want to buy a Satsuki Azalea bonsai. I am doing some research before purchasing one. Many blogs/sites mentioned Satsuki Azalea hates tap water. I live in an apartment. It is impossible to get or store rainwater? Can I use tap water? What water do you use to water Satsuki Azalea bonsai?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think it can depend on the type of water (hard or soft) in particular that comes out of the tap. I forget off the top of my head which is which. Curious to see what others say.

I feel like I remember hearing leaving the water out for a day or so might help address the issue too, but don’t quote me

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It depends on your water quality. Planting in Kanuma will help.

To get to your answer….

First go to your NYC municipal water quarterly report here.

Next, check out this link post #30 and any other @leo in NE Illinois post there in. Compare his comments to the report.

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Joyce2021
Where in New York are you (what county)?
I have several azaleas out here in Suffolk county. Been watering them for years with the county tap water

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are any Azaleas present in apartment yard and watered with hose:confused:? Also being in apt do you have outside area with natural Sunlight to keep any plant at all? YES necessary!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You could with my water. It's so soft, the ice cubes bend.
I wish I liked the maintenance azaleas need.

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
Are any Azaleas present in apartment yard and watered with hose:confused:? Also being in apt do you have outside area with natural Sunlight to keep any plant at all? YES necessary!
I don't have outside area. But I have natural sunlight and good grow light. my loropetalum bonsai is blooming under grow lights now. But not sure if it is good enough for Azalea. :(

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use tap water with 6.8 German hardness degrees. Which is 0.178 mmol / L.
I water seedlings, cuttings, outdoor potted plants and garden-planted azaleas using this water.
I have not seen any structural issues. Inside peat/perlite or kanuma, I grow very nicely dark leaves seedlings.
Might I get better results with rain water or softer water. Possibly. But I cannot complain.

These never ever got any rain, only tap water:
1649773500965.png

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to buy a Satsuki Azalea bonsai. I am doing some research before purchasing one. Many blogs/sites mentioned Satsuki Azalea hates tap water. I live in an apartment. It is impossible to get or store rainwater? Can I use tap water? What water do you use to water Satsuki Azalea bonsai?
Tap water is the least of your worries (and NYC, if that's where you are--has pretty decent tap water quality--if a little on the base side --which isn't great for azalea which likes soil on the acidic side).

You will have disappointment trying to grow satsuki indoors. Sellers mark it as possible indoors. It's a sales gimmick.

I have satsuki and keep them outside all the time. They get tap water out of my backyard hose and have for years. Haven't had an issue, but my tap water is sourced from the Potomac River and a neutral to acidic on the pH side. They're pretty easy outside. Indoors is a different story.

Tropical plant ( primarily ficus and schefflera) are the best for 'indoor' bonsai. They can tolerate the extremely low light levels and desert-like low humidity generated by building HVAC systems) Temperate zone plants, like azalea, can't tolerate those conditions. They don't last long inside as they need higher humidity, light and air circulation. Some also require dormancy, including some Satsuki azalea varieties (there are more than one kind of satsuki, some have heavier winter requirements, while others don't...it's a crap shoot as to which you will wind up buying as most sellers are unaware of the differences.).

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Growing my seedlings inside since November, I would say it gets more and more challenging to grow them as they get larger.
They can grow inside with stale air and lower humidity. But as they get larger, it gets harder and harder to water them. My main issue seems to be insects and watering too late.
But this is different from taking a bonsai azalea, maybe imported from Japan.

That said though. I often take such plants, imported whips from Japan, and I put them indoors to force them to grow earlier. And that works fine.
But the growth is very tender, though. It grows fast, without air movement, etc.

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
Tap water is the least of your worries (and NYC, if that's where you are--has pretty decent tap water quality--if a little on the base side --which isn't great for azalea which likes soil on the acidic side).

You will have disappointment trying to grow satsuki indoors. Sellers mark it as possible indoors. It's a sales gimmick.

I have satsuki and keep them outside all the time. They get tap water out of my backyard hose and have for years. Haven't had an issue, but my tap water is sourced from the Potomac River and a neutral to acidic on the pH side. They're pretty easy outside. Indoors is a different story.

Tropical plant ( primarily ficus and schefflera) are the best for 'indoor' bonsai. They can tolerate the extremely low light levels and desert-like low humidity generated by building HVAC systems) Temperate zone plants, like azalea, can't tolerate those conditions. They don't last long inside as they need higher humidity, light and air circulation. Some also require dormancy, including some Satsuki azalea varieties (there are more than one kind of satsuki, some have heavier winter requirements, while others don't...it's a crap shoot as to which you will wind up buying as most sellers are unaware of the differences.).
Thank you!

Top Bottom