Can junipers be repotted at ANY time?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
2 options as the soil in the pic looks as though it’s been refreshed and perhaps well draining?
Cinder block on side with holes horizontal, wire each side of pot through a hole in the block
or each side of pot wired to your bench/display area.

2nd option place entire pot into a larger pot and wedge edges between pots reducing movement.

I doubt this tree is in need of repotting, but if it is, after the Summer solstice.
In your environment, are recovery conditions more favorable late Spring or late Summer?
If you get similar to the Santa Anna winds in late Summer, but not Spring, then Spring once
a good flush of growth has occurred, providing proper after care.

3rd option, shorter more wind resistant profiles.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If anything the pot might be too large, to my eye, aesthetically speaking. Take the shape of the pot into account as well. In my opinion the tree would look much better in a round pot. If it was mine I would probably pot it into a round pot that is slightly deeper than the current pot but smaller in width.
You're right. It was in a round one last year that was smaller. It....looked.... better but I had to hold that one down too.

pot anchor.jpg

It was also too small as it never held water for a day in summer. :confused:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will repot junipers right now through the beginning of fall.
Barerooting them with a garden hose.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You're right. It was in a round one last year that was smaller. It....looked.... better but I had to hold that one down too.

View attachment 243934

It was also too small as it never held water for a day in summer. :confused:

May as well look good while it’s being held down anyway right? I’d personally rather find a solution that gets the tree at its best aesthetic and accommodates whatever else, if that means wiring it down to the bench so be it. Do you normally water twice a day in the peak heat of the summer? If it’s still too dry after that you may want to reconsider your soil particle size or upping the ratio of the moisture holding component in your soil (Akadama or whatever you’re using).

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
May as well look good while it’s being held down anyway right? I’d personally rather find a solution that gets the tree at its best aesthetic and accommodates whatever else, if that means wiring it down to the bench so be it. Do you normally water twice a day in the peak heat of the summer? If it’s still too dry after that you may want to reconsider your soil particle size or upping the ratio of the moisture holding component in your soil (Akadama or whatever you’re using).
That pic was from 2 years ago. Didn't repot this year. Found the "potting soil" I now use in the mix. It has some fir bark and is way better than the cactus mix I used to supplement the lava/aka/pumice with.
I'm pretty sure I can find a slightly deeper and HEAVIER pot for next year. :)

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Soil also consists of microbes responsible for activity in soil. When planted in fresh soil, microbes from old intact soil of rootball starts to grow and spread in the soil.
I tried that with a couple of junipers and they seem to be doing fine but when I went to repot the next year they had had a lot of root loss so if you decide to do this be very careful with the watering. My junipers are all fine still but I think In the future I would use mycorhizae to infuse the bonsai soil which I have been using and my plants seem to do better when I use this and also KLN from dyna-gro helps the shock of repotting. Just my experience. Good Luck!!

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried that with a couple of junipers and they seem to be doing fine but when I went to repot the next year they had had a lot of root loss so if you decide to do this be very careful with the watering. My junipers are all fine still but I think In the future I would use mycorhizae to infuse the bonsai soil which I have been using and my plants seem to do better when I use this and also KLN from dyna-gro helps the shock of repotting. Just my experience. Good Luck!!
instead of partial soil.

Top Bottom