Can mistletoe affect bonsai?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
OK… So totally random question. I had my trees resting underneath the shade of a large mesquite tree but did not notice the mistletoe above until the seed pods began to fall. Wondering if my Elm or cypress trees could be affected.
Thanks

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mistletoe can kill trees. I've collected lodgepole and ponderosa pine that were infected. The only recourse is to completely cut off affected limbs and hope you have a tree left when you're done. Not to say that your trees are infected, but if you see signs, quick pruning well inside of the affected portions is your best bet.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Mistletoe can kill trees.
Well that freaking sucks… I have done my best to remove as many other pods as I can but I’m sure there are seeds everywhere…. The good news is they don’t appear to be the Super sticky type that sticks to everything. Guess there’s nothing I can do but keep an eye out. Thank you for your response

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not sure what mistletoe you have over there but as far as I know mistletoe rarely kills trees. There is not much future for any parasite that kills its host! Often weaker trees are affected worse and we like to blame the parasite but reality is the tree was dying anyway.
Our mistletoes need the seeds to go through a bird to extract the seed before it can stick into a branch. Falling fruit will not be able to attach to your tree unless your species are very different from any I know.
If a tree does have a mistletoe growing on it simply pruning the mistletoe off will get rid of it. They do not sprout back from inside the tree. Nor do they travel from place to place through the tree. We are talking about a plant, not cancer or fungi.
Put simply, mistletoe should not be a problem for your bonsai but they are a really fascinating group on plants.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not sure what mistletoe you have over there
Hey there! Thank you for your reply!
We have desert mistletoe here in Arizona… Reeks havoc on the Mesquite population. This particular does at some point to kill its host… ?
I have had my trees near infected Mesquite trees before without a problem however I have never seen the seed pods in my pots... I am hoping for the best....And that you are also correct! Thanks again

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This particular does at some point to kill its host… ?
I just searched online. The first site ( https://www.livescience.com/49145-desert-mistletoe-photos.html) gave me this: If desert mistletoe is a killer, it is surely a slow one. Death to a host tree usually occurs only when multiple clusters of mistletoe overtake the host tree, or when the host is weakened by other diseases or by a lack of water. Death of a host caused solely by mistletoe is very uncommon.

There is much misinformation and lack of understanding around mistletoe here and, it seems, over there.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Shibui
Thanks for checking... lol yeah ask 10 guys here about mistletoe and get 11 different answers!

I’m just envisions my small trees with these huge swollen trunks. Sigh.....

I just sprayed the heck out of my trees to sooth my OCD....in hopes of dislodging any seeds of course ?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure what mistletoe you have over there but as far as I know mistletoe rarely kills trees. There is not much future for any parasite that kills its host! Often weaker trees are affected worse and we like to blame the parasite but reality is the tree was dying anyway.
Our mistletoes need the seeds to go through a bird to extract the seed before it can stick into a branch. Falling fruit will not be able to attach to your tree unless your species are very different from any I know.
If a tree does have a mistletoe growing on it simply pruning the mistletoe off will get rid of it. They do not sprout back from inside the tree. Nor do they travel from place to place through the tree. We are talking about a plant, not cancer or fungi.
Put simply, mistletoe should not be a problem for your bonsai but they are a really fascinating group on plants.
Amen

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I agree it’s a fascinating plant… However I don’t want it on my trees.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Indeed a fascinating family, Santalaceae.

I agree killing host not a aim of their adapted biology. There’s a cat in TX that is an expert on them. Seems some of his research is based on the degree of generalists they are regarding host trees -if I remember right they are not singular species/family specific, but are moreso than not. TN/KY see them most on oaks.
Really neat question...I could see them being negative on bonsai, but every year I see huge oak limbs thrive with them.. hope more chime in.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Indeed a fascinating family, Santalaceae.

I agree killing host not a aim of their adapted biology. There’s a cat in TX that is an expert on them. Seems some of his research is based on the degree of generalists they are regarding host trees -if I remember right they are not singular species/family specific, but are moreso than not. TN/KY see them most on oaks.
Really neat question...I could see them being negative on bonsai, but every year I see huge oak limbs thrive with them.. hope more chime in.
Dr. Chris Randle
-He is lookin for samples across the country, especially if you can identify the host tree and send.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Dr. Chris Randle
-He is lookin for samples across the country, especially if you can identify the host tree and send.
Well I can send if I see any parasitic growth!
Pretty cool... I’ll check him out

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Aaron, artwork is beyond impressive. I mean this in the most sincere way not knowing you, but I’m kinda shocked, spellbound. Thank you. Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any chance this is mistletoe on my juniper? It is a low growing type, but I didn’t think they had air roots.4E76402D-6381-470C-BBF8-D947C82FDC11.jpeg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Aaron, artwork is beyond impressive. I mean this in the most sincere way not knowing you, but I’m kinda shocked, spellbound. Thank you. Thanks
Hey thanks so much! I really appreciate your words... I'm so hoping one day someone says that about my trees! But until then Ill keep putting my ideas down on paper.
Again... thank you

Top Bottom