Can Old secondary bud develop branch

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have this question: The secondary buds that are close to trunk and are several years old, ( age as seen from the the length of riny stub on which the leaves form ), can they be made to grow as primary buds and form a branch? And even if forced to develop into a branch, would it be a healthy branch?

Thanks

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What type of tree are we talking about?
If the bud is alive and starts growing, then we can let it run to gain strength while reducing the branch we want to remove in the future. Then make the newly formed brach from the old bud a new branch.

The risk with cutting back to a dormant bud is that the plant might not activate it and the branch dies.

This however is a broad generalisation, not every type of conifer responds the same.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
What type of tree are we talking about?
If the bud is alive and starts growing, then we can let it run to gain strength while reducing the branch we want to remove in the future. Then make the newly formed brach from the old bud a new branch.

The risk with cutting back to a dormant bud is that the plant might not activate it and the branch dies.

This however is a broad generalisation, not every type of conifer responds the same.
Thanks Wires_Guy_wire.

My question is about Larch Species.

My idea is that once buds start swelling up in spring, prune untill two-three buds away from the last buds closest to trunk which has swelled.
And if these buds continue to swell for a week, then trim the other remaining two-three buds as well.

This should hopefully trigger that last remaining bud to develop as a branch.

Any experience/opinion please.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In larch I find this risky. They are known to drop branches for no reason so if you give them a small reason.. They might do it.
That's why I'm in favor of letting a bud develop to a branch, then when you're sure it generates enough energy to not be dropped, cut the rest back.

From what I've seen in my own larches, when buds get enough sunlight they tend to develop pretty well in a season.

It's up to you of course.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
In larch I find this risky. They are known to drop branches for no reason so if you give them a small reason.. They might do it.
I moved from Pine to Larch thinking it will be easier but looks like Larch can be equally challenging. Any specifics do's and don'ts for larch you can suggest from your experience.
What are the chances of back budding occuring on trunk near the point where a branch dropped?

Last edited:
Top Bottom