Can Peat Pellets be broken?

Vik250

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi All,

So few days ago, I planted some seeds in peat pellets and then I also planted some seeds in small pots, for which I broke mesh off of other peat pellets and gathered the soil. I did this to experiment as I am complete rookie and want to learn. So now, my question is, can mesh around peat pellets be broken and used as soil in a pot and for planting seeds?

Thank You.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The mesh is just a cheaper substitute for a pot and to allow the seedlings to be planted out without the trouble of removing the pot.
The peat mix inside is just a growing medium so can be used in almost any container.

Just be aware that the medium is designed to work with a mesh container. Putting it into a closed, plastic pot will change the dynamics of water holding and drying out. That can cause problems with watering frequency, overwatering and fungal problems. Maybe you will have no problems but I'd be watching carefully to make sure the roots don't stay saturated.

Vik250

Yamadori
Reaction score
The mesh is just a cheaper substitute for a pot and to allow the seedlings to be planted out without the trouble of removing the pot.
The peat mix inside is just a growing medium so can be used in almost any container.

Just be aware that the medium is designed to work with a mesh container. Putting it into a closed, plastic pot will change the dynamics of water holding and drying out. That can cause problems with watering frequency, overwatering and fungal problems. Maybe you will have no problems but I'd be watching carefully to make sure the roots don't stay saturated.
Thank You!! This helps a lot!!

Top Bottom