Can please shove money at someone to escape ads?

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is there someone I can please shove some money at to remove the ads on this site?

i looked around a number of times for a paid membership, i would love to support the site and i get that ads do just that, but specially on my phone i find they destroy my reading experience. Am i missing something?

If there is no paid ad free membership, is there a reason why? I know folks tend to expect things for free these, I am not one of them. I would rather valuable resources and pay a far price.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you are logged in, they’re not obtrusive.
I disagree or I would not have started the thread. That is actually the first thing I checked, when I'm my phone I was constantly thinking, wow am I not logged in? but alas I am and the ads still take over the entire thing.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I am logged in I only see the banner at the top of the page. Are you seeing them more than that?
Same here. I usually only am on a PC. Only banner at top I often click if it's interesting to support. I sometimes use my phone to load pics and the ads are bigger but usually only one.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah on a phone (even when logged in) they are kind of vertically large on every page view. I don't mind, because I assume they are supporting the site, but I've definitely noticed them.

On a computer? I don't notice them very much.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm really not asking other users if they bother them, and I'm certainly not saying they should not be there, I totally support this site making money to keep operating.
I'm asking the folks who run this site (on the "Site Feedback and Suggestions" section no less) if they have considered a paid membership level which removes the ads in exchange for direct monetary support. Which is an option on tons of forums. Or if they had one I was silly and did not see or if there was a reason they choose not to.
I was not asking if folks agreed with my thoughts on the matter.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm really not asking other users if they bother them, and I'm certainly not saying they should not be there, I totally support this site making money to keep operating.
I'm asking the folks who run this site (on the "Site Feedback and Suggestions" section no less) if they have considered a paid membership level which removes the ads in exchange for direct monetary support. Which is an option on tons of forums. Or if they had one I was silly and did not see or if there was a reason they choose not to.
if you dont want everyone's opinion, dont start a thread. Instead, DM the site administrator

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is there someone I can please shove some money at to remove the ads on this site?

Right now the site is self-funding with the ads and some gracious member donations about once per year.

I have never considered a membership to remove the ads entirely, but I could definitely set it up. I have avoided it in the past because I don't want the site to come off as a "for profit" site. I work for free, and I try to make enough money to cover site hosting costs. For the first ten years of the site, that was not the case :)

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In one of my fish forums we have a "homesteader" area.. Where we paid lile $25 or so a year. It gave us small Admin rights for our area. We posted what we wanted there. It was our own little area of the forum..and out user names were a different color then the normal people..

@bonsainut I could give your the owners info of the other forum if you wanted to bounce ideas from him.. The site has been around 20 years or so

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I only see one single ad at the top of the page when I’m logged in. Not sure what you’re going on about?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I hardly notice them, not sure what the big deal is. If it happens to be something I'm interested in I'll click on it, to help the site.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m sure Bonsai Nut would happily accept your direct monetary support. You can donate by clicking the orange “Donate” button below the small ad at the bottom of the home page.🤪

Attachments

• 1DD54D4D-54C5-4A92-AAE5-CADB63066A4F.jpeg
    1DD54D4D-54C5-4A92-AAE5-CADB63066A4F.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 11

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In one of my fish forums we have a "homesteader" area.. Where we paid lile $25 or so a year. It gave us small Admin rights for our area. We posted what we wanted there. It was our own little area of the forum..and out user names were a different color then the normal people..

@bonsainut I could give your the owners info of the other forum if you wanted to bounce ideas from him.. The site has been around 20 years or so

I forgot to mention.. This was great way for homesteaders to organize and find their own content in their area... Just a thought

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right now the site is self-funding with the ads and some gracious member donations about once per year.

I have never considered a membership to remove the ads entirely, but I could definitely set it up. I have avoided it in the past because I don't want the site to come off as a "for profit" site. I work for free, and I try to make enough money to cover site hosting costs. For the first ten years of the site, that was not the case :)

thanks for the reply, I understand the feeling when having such a great informative site and wanting to stay "pure to the mission". I would encourage you to consider it, and as long as nothing is exclusively locked behind a paywall, I think it becomes a good way for folks to support a site that they love. I have spent many years on many hobby sites, and the good ones that are a long term resource have happy paying members and other folks that are totally fine with the ads. you never have to do all one or the other with most modern forum platforms. people love options.

I know opinions vary a lot in this on-demand world of 99¢ Apps and streaming everything. But you have a great site here and deserve to have it full support itself, which does, in fact, include you getting a stipend for the probably immense time you devote to making it this good.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
if you dont want everyone's opinion, dont start a thread. Instead, DM the site administrator
this is a pretty unhelpful comment,
a forum's "Site Feedback and Suggestions" subsection is for exactly what I wrote, feedback, and a suggestion for the site.
There is no need to clutter up a busy admin's inbox with something that is likely better posted properly and can then get a reply that will inform others who may have a similar question.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
this is a pretty unhelpful comment,
a forum's "Site Feedback and Suggestions" subsection is for exactly what I wrote, feedback, and a suggestion for the site.
There is no need to clutter up a busy admin's inbox with something that is likely better posted properly and can then get a reply that will inform others who may have a similar question.
Then don't complain if people offer their views and opinions

Top Bottom