Can please shove money at someone to escape ads?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In some parts of the internet, people that pay for websites expect those websites to do as they please.
I mean, they're paying for it after all. They're customers and content creators.
It's a slippery slope if you'd ask me.

Firefox allows a couple add ons, even on mobile, to block ads. Those are free and they save data too.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In some parts of the internet, people that pay for websites expect those websites to do as they please.
I mean, they're paying for it after all. They're customers and content creators.
It's a slippery slope if you'd ask me.
well, right now we are products, I'd rather be a customer.
As for the slippery slope? I don't see one, the offer a site, is we like it we participate, if we like it and prefer it ad-free, we pay to stop being advertised too, if we don't like those options, we stop paying and leave. it's a system that frankly works remarkably well
Firefox allows a couple add ons, even on mobile, to block ads. Those are free and they save data too.
ah, now that is the only unfair choice. this would undermine the site that gives us so much, taking the product for nothing. I am asking to do exactly the opposite.

honestly, I have no idea why so many of you give a rats ass about the question I posed to the folks that run the site. they responded already to the perfectly reasonable question, why the fuss from others that have no skin in the game and no say on the issue.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As for the slippery slope? I don't see one, the offer a site, is we like it we participate, if we like it and prefer it ad-free, we pay to stop being advertised too, if we don't like those options, we stop paying and leave. it's a system that frankly works remarkably well

ah, now that is the only unfair choice. this would undermine the site that gives us so much, taking the product for nothing. I am asking to do exactly the opposite.

honestly, I have no idea why so many of you give a rats ass about the question I posed to the folks that run the site. they responded already to the perfectly reasonable question, why the fuss from others that have no skin in the game and no say on the issue.

Then make a donation and use an ad blocker. It literally fixes everything for everyone. Bonsainut gets his money to keep operating and maybe buy some ice cream, and you're can browse without ads.
I'll stop meddling in your publicly posted business. Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may have a virus.

What phone?

What I'm gathering is, you're not having the same experience as others .

Screenshot?

Sorce

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Such an unpleasant person. Luckily, Greg foresaw situations like this and implemented an ignore button. Have a nice life!

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As someone who runs an online business I know that setting up a paid membership option can be a lot more difficult than it sounds. The site then becomes a business and with that comes the need to pay taxes amongst other things. Only registered charities are allowed to accept donations.

Alcam

Yamadori
Reaction score
Weird that many don't get lots of ads. There are times, for me, when there's a huge ad in every single post in a thread and it's super annoying.

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
if people choose to give unsolicited opinions on my thread [...]
How can an opinion on a thread be "unsolicited"? Granted, you might not have been explicitly asking for opinions in your original posting... but, by posting your question to a public forum as the origination of a thread, you were in a way soliciting replies/answers, opinions, and anything, really, related to the general topic. At least on this site (I don't have much other experience with other forums on the Internet) you will notice that threads often end up covering topics only tangentially related the original posting. In doing so the forum provides tons of information that might not otherwise be expressed -- someone might not think to say something unless something in a thread reminds them of it, even if peripherally -- and that is still easily found via the search function. I just asssumed that was the nature of, and a benefit of, an unmoderated public forum. That is to say, it is not really "your" thread once you originate it. This is evinced, I think, by the fact that you can't delete a thread you start...

Last edited:
Top Bottom