Can someone explain pottery to me?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my library! @Anthony these books are so good, my narrowed focus would only recommend them.šŸ˜‰

20200828_113252.jpg

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very sane Sorce. Wait, did I just say that?
I have always had a book thing. About 4 or 5 years ago I started selling my library on Amazon. Sold 60 art books 2 weeks ago to a book seller. Haven't done much with my pottery books but I can see here there are many still to sell. By focusing you can see what I mean by the titles. There are 11 books on Raku alone. There are more ceramic books in the living room and in the shop, but most are right here.
I have a problem but I am working on it. Oh wait, two books just came from Amazon. Not pottery though. One on botany and one on physics.IMG_3915.JPGIMG_3916.JPG
IMG_3917.JPGIMG_3918.JPG
AHA! I see one duplication there and not for the first time.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hee Hee - @sorce
The library here ended up more Chemistry.
As in mole - mole.
Inventing bodies, and non -toxic glazes from oxides.
Same for the Jewellery - alloys.
Good Day
Anthony

* independence from companies and bagged clay

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hee Hee - @sorce
bagged clay

Well what do YOU haul your clay in?

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Just messing ā€˜round, Anthony. I totally understand. šŸ¤“

Interestingly (about Mole) enough, one of my FANTASTIC chemistry teachers (high school) was quite impassioned with ā€œMoleā€... she would organize ā€œmole day partiesā€

I wish her enthusiasm and adaptability would have been mirrored by some of my LATER professors.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't take price as any indication of quality.

Cones measure heat work. Temp/time. You needn't be concerned with them if you aren't potting. A Potter who makes you think you do is bullshitting you.

A vitreous (from the Latin glasslike) pot isn't necessarily Frost Proof.

A Frost Proof pot isn't necessarily Vitreous.

Any of these can be had at any temperature/cone.

Not all cone 10 pots are Vitreous or frost-proof.

The only pot that is Vitreous or Frost Proof is one that has been tested as such.

Crackle glaze is a flaw or a feature. Glaze is also frost-proof or not, completely independent from the clay. So a porous glaze on a Vitreous pot can destroy the pot if frozen. This isn't likely.

Round pots are inherently stronger in their one peice construction, made stronger by being round. (Porthole theory)
But not every round pot is stronger than a slab built pot.

Different clays have different strengths and weaknesses. Different firing schedules make a difference, these differences are rarely observable with a look, sometimes observable with touch, sound, and lick, and always only fully known (if they are any good) by the Potter.

The unobservable part is the crystals within, which form the bonds that actually give a piece strength or weakness.
These crystals are what make it possible for any pot to break seemingly randomly, though most occur with drastic quick temperature changes.

Firing Schedules control these crystals. So the best made round pot can be rendered useless, and the worst made slab pot can be made strong, with firing schedule alone. Verified by cones.

Sorce

And what about drilling holes? If the pot doesn't have holes for tie downs or they aren't in opportune places, does drilling a couple 1/4" holes with a ceramic tile bit introduce weak points that one should worry about? Would it be better to epoxy some wire loops inside the pot instead? I know with glass there some no-nos around where/how to drill to manage stress points, etc...is there something with clay?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If drilling it doesn't break it it should be ok.

I guess some instances could expose an unvitrified core which could take on water and break.

Securing a tree well is important but wires aren't the only way to accomplish it. Chopsticks can be wedged inside the pot over the roots. I actually think wire is a poor method.

Sorce

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If drilling it doesn't break it it should be ok.

I guess some instances could expose an unvitrified core which could take on water and break.

Securing a tree well is important but wires aren't the only way to accomplish it. Chopsticks can be wedged inside the pot over the roots. I actually think wire is a poor method.

Sorce

Personally, I hate the look of wire...even as a necessary evil. I usually go the "heavy rock" method of tree sercurement ;) Sometimes the "lean on neighbors" method works for me too.

Most of my stuff is in pots (grow bags) that I fill deeper than the typical bonsai pot, however. Usually not deeper than 6-7" but still deeper than typical bonsai pots. Not sure my patented heavy rock/lean on neighbor methods would be sufficient :)

Top Bottom