Can someone help please

Latey92

Seedling
Reaction score
Can anyone identify these trees for me please my partner was given them and didn’t ask what they was? Also when is the best time to shape the trunk ?

Attachments

• 609408A2-F052-4B92-9F57-D234D2B2322A.jpeg
    609408A2-F052-4B92-9F57-D234D2B2322A.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 107

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't tell you exactly what they are but if you could give us your location it may help with identification. At first I thought possibly American Holly but I'm not sure. However, what I am sure of is they are in very poor condition. They need to outside and they look like they've been overwatered. If they are not cared for properly soon, they will most certainly die. I wouldn't even consider wiring them for shape at this point; they must regain vigor first.

Latey92

Seedling
Reaction score
I can't tell you exactly what they are but if you could give us your location it may help with identification. At first I thought possibly American Holly but I'm not sure. However, what I am sure of is they are in very poor condition. They need to outside and they look like they've been overwatered. If they are not cared for properly soon, they will most certainly die. I wouldn't even consider wiring them for shape at this point; they must regain vigor first.
Thanks for responding vin, I am in the uk mate , I have placed them outside so that a good thing as I weren’t to sure if they was a indoor or outdoor bonsai , but I did water them after the photo was taken by submerging them

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe a Wych Elm but hopefully someone a little closer to home can help. I'd try to ease up on the water a bit. Good luck.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Certainly not elm. Maybe Quercus ilex, Holm oak, though it’s hard to tell (I’m looking at the pictures on a phone screen).

Latey92

Seedling
Reaction score
Maybe a Wych Elm but hopefully someone a little closer to home can help. I'd try to ease up on the water a bit. Good luck.
Okay thank you vin

Latey92

Seedling
Reaction score
Have got my parnter yo ask the person who gave them us what they are and has said it’s a oak leaf?? If so how would you go about keeping them, would they be much better outside in the uk and also would you leave them to grow for a few more years ? Haven’t had a tree this younge yet so unsure what to do

Latey92

Seedling
Reaction score
Could be a type of oak.. not wych elm, but hard to see from the photos.

Yes, outside.
Thank you, how long would you leave them to grow for before I can start shaping the trunk ?

Latey92

Seedling
Reaction score
Their growing material pal, unless you want very small trees. Have a good read of bonsai4me.com , good starting point for you.[/QUOTE
No I would like a fair size tree, would you just leave them be then? Thank you I will take a look at that link

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed is some kind of Oak. Cannot say what kind;).

Top Bottom