Can someone offer some peace of mind please

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi all i was hoping some one with more experience with Japanese white pines may take a quick look at these pics of my white pine for me and maybe explain the colour changes in the needles im experiencing recently.
The tree seems to be doing well and the new spring growth is strong but last years needles are turning a lighter colour and my inexperience with the species would like some peace of mind on the matter.
Thanks.
20170521_135907.jpg 20170521_135846.jpg 20170521_135836.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JWP shed old needles. And they don't like too much water, it seems your needles are a little too yellow at this point in the season. Closely monitor your watering schedule, maybe ease up if your watering frequently.:)

I've only had one for a couple years, so not too experienced yet.:(;):D:D:D:D

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah the first thing i thought of was watering its rained alot the past few weeks so i will be vigilant. I am new to white pines and this is my first season with it so i will endeavour to learn correctly.
Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are they yellow near the tips and green down lower on the needle? If so, the soil isn't draining well.

So, the short term solution is to water less often, but if you live in a rainy climate, the long term solution is to get it into a very open soil mix that drains well.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks @Adair M the tree was repotted last year in the fall at greenwood bonsai nursery in the uk it was put into a different shaped pot and the rootball reduced as much as corrin felt it could be at that time. A percentage of the soil around the rootball from its last pot was left on as not to disturb the roots to much but we can reduce that over time i hope.
I believe the tree was imported for asia and the old soil is there mix possibly koren so it looks a bit mucky with koren grit in it.
I feel you are right and i will be alot more cautious going farward.
Will the yellowing needles die off or can they recover with better control of itd environment and watering?
Here is a close up of old soil vrs new.
20170521_152957.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are they yellow near the tips and green down lower on the needle? If so, the soil isn't draining well.

So, the short term solution is to water less often, but if you live in a rainy climate, the long term solution is to get it into a very open soil mix that drains well.

Your soil was not seived. Too many small particles. Hold too much water. You want a very open soil.

Like this:

image.jpg

It's raining as I took this picture! Got my iPhone wet! Lol!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use Boon Mix on everything. Every. Thing.

Shohin I use a smaller particle size.

Basic formula is equal parts lava (scoria), pumice, and akadama. In a five gallon mix, add a cup of granite and a cup of horticultural charcoal.

If you want a dryer mix, add more pumice. If you need more moisture (deciduous trees) add more akadama.

But to start out, use the basic mix and see how your trees do. Then you can fine tune the mix. This soil drains very well. Because of that, people in hot and/or dry climates may have to water more often. In that case, adding a layer of chopped Orchid moss on top of the soil helps to retain moisture.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score

Basic formula is equal parts lava (scoria), pumice, and akadama. In a five gallon mix, add a cup of granite and a cup of horticultural charcoal.

If you want a dryer mix, add more pumice. If you need more moisture (deciduous trees) add more akadama.

But to start out, use the basic mix and see how your trees do. Then you can fine tune the mix. This soil drains very well. Because of that, people in hot and/or dry climates may have to water more often. In that case, adding a layer of chopped Orchid moss on top of the soil helps to retain moisture.
Thanks for that.
One more quick question if you dont mind how long would you leave this tree before repotting it as its was only repotted last November?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would repot next spring to get it in better soil.

But your tree looks fine. The old needles are a little yellowed, but not too bad. There's no reason to take drastic action.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The last pic clearly shows the new growth more pale than last years'. Pale new growth is cause by a deficiency in a metal. Iron is the first to be suspected followed by manganese, zinc and copper. Try chelated iron first and if they have not greened up after a week or so, use a trace element mix. Also check the pH of the mix. Anything over 6 might be locking absorption of metals. Continue with the standard NPK as well.

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score

Where's the best place to buy these for a good price? Home Depot? And when you say lava. Do you mean lava rock?

Top Bottom