Can someone please help, my bonsai is dying

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
I got what we think is a Benjamina Ficus in April. It was doing fine until a few weeks ago ,when it started getting hot it started to wilt. I have been watering it more but it still doesn't look good. I will try to post a picture, I just have to figure out how. This is my first bonsai.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

Benjamina can be very temperamental, so they're rather hard to keep happy. It could be that you've been over watering, especially since you say you've been watering more. What kind of soil is it in?

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
It's in some kind of bonsai soil. Does anyone know how to upload photos? I can't figure out how.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Everyone says Ficus B is temperamental. I have never had one issue and I take them in and out when the weather changes.
With a free draining soil I don't even think they can be over watered but they do like to almost dry out before being watered.

How big is it? Ficus B is also known as the weeping ficus so there might not be anything wrong with it. The leaves tend to droop and a lot of times new green shoots will droop till they are strong enough to hold up the leaves.

A picture would be great!

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You have to upload from a computer. When you start a thread or a comment above the comment box where you would type whT you are going to say there are a bunch of symbols. One is of a picture frame. That's how you upload. Push the picture find where on the computer you have the picture saved and upload.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's in some kind of bonsai soil. Does anyone know how to upload photos? I can't figure out how.

I use Photobucket. You make a free account there, then upload the photos to there. You then copy the IMG code and paste it in your response.

Everyone says Ficus B is temperamental. I have never had one issue and I take them in and out when the weather changes.
With a free draining soil I don't even think they can be over watered but they do like to almost dry out before being watered.

How big is it? Ficus B is also known as the weeping ficus so there might not be anything wrong with it. The leaves tend to droop and a lot of times new green shoots will droop till they are strong enough to hold up the leaves.

A picture would be great!

Well personally, owning about 10 of them, I always find that they throw fits....

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow! A lot reply's, thanks! South-Western Idaho where there is like no humidity. I have it in a window, inside. The window does not get direct sunlight. The leaves are dry and falling off. I can't right now I can in like 1/2 hour.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Wow! A lot reply's, thanks! South-Western Idaho where there is like no humidity. I have it in a window, inside. The window does not get direct sunlight. The leaves are dry and falling off. I can't right now I can in like 1/2 hour.

That is probably part of your problem. The tree isn't getting sunlight but you keep watering, so the soil is staying wet. Leaves drying up and falling off is not a good sign.

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
it's been 30 min where's your picture =)

I keep all mine outdoors including Benj B, I would think in the growing season it should see some direct sun although not all day for sure like the F. Macrocarpas can take and they need sun and food to be strong.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree should should be outside all summer, preferably in direct sun in Ohio. Indoors doesn't provide much light and air conditioning sucks all the moisture out of the air, leaving behind humidity levels comparable to a desert.

Ficus are tropical trees and love hot humid weather. Now is the time to repot if necessary. The hotter, the better.

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
I mist it 1-2 a dayDSCF3448.jpg. Should I do it more? It is looking worse today :( Here are the pictures:

DSCF3445.jpgDSCF3446.jpgDSCF3447.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh, didn't see all the posts. It is over 100 degrees at this time of year, is that okay? How often would I need to mist it? Could I have it outside when I am home so I can mist it often? I am usually home but today I will be gone for a couple of hours.

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
I would say put it outside and let the soil dry out a little. If I remember correctly these like to be on the dry side then watered again.

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks! I put it outside on out porch railing.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That doesn't look too good at all. Don't water anymore until the soil is dry. Place it outdoors in the shade for a bit to let it recover. After a few weeks of keeping it in the shade place it in the sun for a few hours a day until it is adjusted.

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
Okay, I will try that. Thank you everybody!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do NOT mist it. That is part of its problem, I'd bet. Misting tends to do nothing for the plant other than help keep the soil soggy.

Also, there is a tendency for beginners to want to "do" something to their trees constantly. That is mostly a death sentence for the tree. There is no reason for all the fuss. Trees can do fine on their own, as long as they get adequate water and light--Adequate water means watering when the tree needs it, not according to your schedule.It should REMAIN IN ONE PLACE for the remainder of the summer and early fall. Trees have roots, which means they are NOT ambulatory and not used to moving aroumd. Moving them indoors and outdoors constantly forces them to re-adjust to local microclimates with every move. That stresses them out and forces them to use a lot of energy and reserves which can wind up being fatal.

Watering is one of the hardest things to master in bonsai. Soil should approach dryness (or even dry out a bit in the case of B. ficus) before more water is added. This can be monitored with the "chop stick" method --do a search on the term here.

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! I will look up the "chop stick" method.

WaveRider

Seedling
Reaction score
Looked it up! I think I will try that. Thanks so much for the help! :)

Top Bottom