Can sometime help identify this?

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello everyone! I think I have a fungus on my leaves but I’m not perfectly sure. It certainly seems to be spreading to more leafs. It’s not easy to photograph because it’s tiny but it appears to be like black granules that sits on top of the lead. I live in Florida. Can anyone identify this? If it is a fungus is theres fungicide you recommend for this type?

Attachments

• C275240A-909D-412A-BC68-FFCAE3F778A8.jpeg
    C275240A-909D-412A-BC68-FFCAE3F778A8.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 78
  • B851CD07-AC17-441B-ACAD-E0252AA88D7A.jpeg
    B851CD07-AC17-441B-ACAD-E0252AA88D7A.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 197860D8-D85E-42FD-909A-6C35D32B097B.jpeg
    197860D8-D85E-42FD-909A-6C35D32B097B.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 75

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be Frass. Caterpillar Dung. That's quite the pile though. Might have left that after Thanksgiving!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very often pathogens and bugs are species-specific so you need to name the host. A photo of the whole tree might help spot something, too.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And a photo where the thing you want ID'd is bigger than a few pixels.
Can you rub it off? what does it look like than?

Looks like frass indeed. Just remove the caterpillar, they are not that hard to find and they do not really harm your tree anyway unless there is a lot of them (that you would notice by leaf loss).

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Could be Frass. Caterpillar Dung. That's quite the pile though. Might have left that after Thanksgiving!

Sorce
Very often pathogens and bugs are species-specific so you need to name the host. A photo of the whole tree might help spot something, too.
And a photo where the thing you want ID'd is bigger than a few pixels.
Can you rub it off? what does it look like than?

Looks like frass indeed. Just remove the caterpillar, they are not that hard to find and they do not really harm your tree anyway unless there is a lot of them (that you would notice by leaf loss).

The tree is a Lysiloma latisiliquum. I’m not really able to get my camera to get a better photo unfortunately, the black spots are very small. Here is a photo of the tree. Quite a bit of leaves have it, that’s why I was thinking fungus. I’ll take a look for a caterpillar. Could it be lizard feces or soot mold? I certainly see a lot of lizards on my trees. I believe soot mold is associated with aphids and scale which I don’t see on this tree.654EB021-3C11-42B4-B3AB-AC94CE37174C.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lizard Pooh looks more like bird Pooh.

I had a caterpillar all summer, only found it in the fall.

Without associated damage, you might not want to waste time looking.

What's odd to me, is the pile, usually a caterpillar keeps eating moving and dropping em. That seems more like something lands for a deuce and takes off.

I wouldn't worry about it much.

Sorce

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Lizard Pooh looks more like bird Pooh.

I had a caterpillar all summer, only found it in the fall.

Without associated damage, you might not want to waste time looking.

What's odd to me, is the pile, usually a caterpillar keeps eating moving and dropping em. That seems more like something lands for a deuce and takes off.

I wouldn't worry about it much.

Sorce
Great thank you! As long as my tree is safe I’m just gonna let it go.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first though was eggs. Hopefully that's not true unless your screening is to keep them in and away from the neighbors ;)

I'm not at all familiar with bug life in FL just throwing that out there as a possible...

Top Bottom