Can this be a Literati?

Reaction score
I was cleaning up some landscaping when I noticed this long bit. At the base is a pretty big root structure. I'm wondering if this is trash or treasure as a possible Literati style. And if yes, should I leave it in the ground where it is or transplant, feed and start wiring? It's thin right now
IMG_0201.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have it tied to a pole to insure it doesn't flop over, it won't make very good bonsai in any style.

Reaction score
If you have it tied to a pole to insure it doesn't flop over, it won't make very good bonsai in any style.
I just found it and tied it to the pole in order to take the picture. The trunk is growing sideways so without digging it up it wouldn't stand up anyway. Anyway, I'll score this as a "trash" recommendation :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, literati is one of the hardest bonsai styles to pull off effectively. Thin trunks are only part of it. Since the thinner leaner trunk CAN BE the focal point of a good literati, it has to have a lot of interest--some interesting movement and some age/maturity that give it interest. This one doesn't have any of that, it's young and shows it.

Reaction score
FWIW, literati is one of the hardest bonsai styles to pull off effectively. Thin trunks are only part of it. Since the thinner leaner trunk CAN BE the focal point of a good literati, it has to have a lot of interest--some interesting movement and some age/maturity that give it interest. This one doesn't have any of that, it's young and shows it.
Roger that and thanks!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hardly anything else that could be. Pick one side or other wire in SOME movement eliminate other side. Keep supported by wire or stake especially if having snow/ice until woody enough to support self. Look at Literati videos on You tube, pics, etc for ideas. Do not be intimidated by such negative comments. All Literati in nature begin as young smooth trees and plenty potted ones as well including many great looking trees;). Species little matters.

Check out this video:

Also this one: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/on-the-hunt-for-young-virginia-pine-to-develop.57143/

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think rockm made a negative comment this go around. I think it is a realistic statement. Literati is a difficult style to master and I would not waste my time with such an inferior piece like this. Of course anthing is possible, but it is not likely to amount to anything.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hardly anything else that could be. Pick one side or other wire in SOME movement eliminate other side. Keep supported by wire or stake especially if having snow/ice until woody enough to support self. Look at Literati videos on You tube, pics, etc for ideas. Do not be intimidated by such negative comments. All Literati in nature begin as young smooth trees and plenty potted ones as well including many great looking trees;). Species little matters.

Check out this video:

Also this one: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/on-the-hunt-for-young-virginia-pine-to-develop.57143/
Wasn't meant as a negative comment. Literati does require more than this trunk presents currently. You've posted links to some extreme Chinese examples, which are mostly made from deciduous or tropical species which have mostly smooth bark. There are very few conifers, and the conifers that are used are not seedlings or young material as this is-even the smooth barked examples have some age to their thin trunks. Making those examples if far more than just wiring movement into the trunks -- far from it. Most of those are made through clip and grow, not wiring.

Reaction score
Thanks all!

Since it costs me nothing to leave in the ground and that is the pole for my birdfeeder I'll just trim it back, wire it a little, and leave it alone for a year or two.

It will probably never be useful as pointed out above but it won't harm anything crawling up the pole

Top Bottom