Can this be propagated?

Jordan Dies

Sapling
Reaction score
So since I've taken up the hobby I can't stop reading and every journey I find my self looking at trees non stop.

At the moment I'm on a tight budget but have been reading alot into propagating and air layering.

I'm going to try and air layer a crabapple tree in the near future but I have seen this right near my house and a few other trees weeping willow being one i want to try to propagate. Being as it's coming out of the concrete it will need to be cut instead of digging up with roots. What is the best method for getting roots from a cutting any advice it appreciated especially in regards to time and potting or placing in water etc.

Thanks ladies and gents.

Attachments

• 20180912_182204.jpg
    20180912_182204.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180912_182141.jpg
    20180912_182141.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180912_182137.jpg
    20180912_182137.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180912_182045.jpg
    20180912_182045.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 37

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Willows are a special case. They are extraordinarily easy to root even as large cuttings. You could just take a chain saw, and chop off a log, stick one end in a bucket of water, and within 6 weeks you will have a bucket full of roots. I'm serious, cuttings root easily in water, and the cuttings can be quite large, 30 or 40 cm in diameter is not unreasonable. I have rooted willow most successfully in water.

However, the best season to do this is spring. Right now it is autumn. I'm not familiar with your location, but I wager most trees has slowed the amount of growing they are doing. I would wait until late winter or early spring before new leaves emerge.

Jordan Dies

Sapling
Reaction score
Willows are a special case. They are extraordinarily easy to root even as large cuttings. You could just take a chain saw, and chop off a log, stick one end in a bucket of water, and within 6 weeks you will have a bucket full of roots. I'm serious, cuttings root easily in water, and the cuttings can be quite large, 30 or 40 cm in diameter is not unreasonable. I have rooted willow most successfully in water.

However, the best season to do this is spring. Right now it is autumn. I'm not familiar with your location, but I wager most trees has slowed the amount of growing they are doing. I would wait until late winter or early spring before new leaves emerge.
I will 100% give this a try when the time is right. Thanks you

Top Bottom