Can we consider this a bonsai?

Is it a bonsai?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Here is it.
IMG_20170808_133524.jpg
It's an Opuntia ficus-indica. Not a tree but a cactus.

Alcúdia_-_Pol·lèntia_-_Opuntia_ficus-indica_01_ies.jpg MG_1149-682x1024.jpg
It can look like a tree though, if it's old enough, with a trunk and branches and bark.

IMG_20170807_213418.jpg
So, some time ago, I found this. The lower part ressembled a trunk with some bark.

IMG_20170807_221015.jpg
So I cut off the rest and planted it. It's some 12" tall. This hook was great for wiring it.

The soil is 100% mineral. I haven't added any kind of fertilizer but it has been making new roots, probably with its own reserves but it maybe finds something in the water as it comes from a river without potabilization. I plan to kind of starve it so it makes small pads, because pruning them wouldn't result in smaller pads but half pads.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Called - Rachet on our side.
Used by some to soften hard hair.
Don't know if the leaves will dwarf.

We used to shoot it with arrows made from bamboo, from the
Bamboo hedge, when everyone here was 9/10 years old.
Bows also made from Bamboo.
Good Day
Anthony

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
For me, a big part of bonsai is what does it make me feel, what's the first thing I think of. For me, I believe I would always think cactus. So proper bonsai I would vote no. Now there are some things you might be able to do to induce pads and budding and it might look good eventually as part of a desert display of say, a Texas Ebony but as a bonsai, no I don't think so.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In its current state, no. But I have seen big tree-form examples in Mexico, with single trunks and spreading canopies. If you could find a way to represent these in a believable miniature, maybe.

Top Bottom